winter Tires

Mooshu

My '12 Edge Limited has 20 in wheels and tires Winter is almost here and I want winter tires as I live close to the mountains and we do get some heavy snow here in Lethbridge. There are no 20 in steel wheels available. Tires have few choices. Fords winter pkg is 17" I want 18" wheels and tires no problem. How is the change from 20 to 18 going to affect my speedo etc. are there any changes to be made to the computer and if so I suppose only Ford can do it. Any suggestion or advice????

My '12 Edge Limited has 20 in wheels and tires Winter is almost here and I want winter tires as I live close to the mountains and we do get some heavy snow here in Lethbridge. There are no 20 in steel wheels available. Tires have few choices. Fords winter pkg is 17" I want 18" wheels and tires no problem. How is the change from 20 to 18 going to affect my speedo etc. are there any changes to be made to the computer and if so I suppose only Ford can do it. Any suggestion or advice????

There is an almost zero effect on the speedometer when you switch from the 20's to the 18's if you mount 245/60/18 tires on the 18" wheels in place of the 245/50/20 tires you run now. This is the factory size and will require absolutely no computer changes or anything else. Search on this wheel and tire topic and you will find several posts from me showing what little difference there is.

Use this link to see the difference between the two sizes or whatever size you may put on. You need Java to see the full features of the linked site.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Just make sure you get wheels from a 2011 or newer Edge if you don't want to have to use any hub centric spacers. The hub opening size from 2011 and up is smaller than the 2010 and older models. There was also a change in the TPMS sensors that will not interchange.

Edited by ls973800

Here is what I did last year:

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

I went with 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) Black Steel Wheels

(4) 235/65/17 BFgoodrich Slalom KSI

(4) TPMS

Brand New Set up: installed, mounted, balanced , Taxes, enviro fees, OTD $ 1,194 Canadian (- Minus $50 BFgoodrich mail in, dealer 100 bonus air miles) Total OTD Cost $ $1,144

The dealer reprogrammed my edge sport awd to match the new size so the speedo is accurate

Fitment is good and no clearance issues

The only difference i felt in the braking and handling was it seemed a bit easier to turn the steering wheel, less resistance

Update

Gas mileage and acceleration has improved with the smaller tire

Edited by tmbubell

Thanks for the advice just cheched in with another Ford dealer service advisor and he advise this was the right way to go 18 in wheels and 245/60/ 18's the difference in the sidwall ((60's up from 50 compemsates for the difference in diameter. ) going with Cooper weathermaster compare evenly with consumer reports and $75 per tire better price.over Michelins. Never used Cooper's before but for the price am going to try Thanks again for the advice .

Love my Edge just over 5K now no apparent problems. Been buying Ford for50 years now mostly satidfied.

Edited by Mooshu