Delete personal information recording technology on my Edge

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Edge loaded. I leased it for 1 year via a private leasing company.

1. Is there any personal information recording technology that can be cleared before I turn the vehicle in?

2. Is there any way to erase the GPS so there is no record where the vehicle has been?

2. Is there any voice recording device per say that can be cleared as well?

thanks

Kai

I know that most leasing companies now have the dealerships install a remote kill / GPS device on leased vehicles. With this they (if check) can see where the car is and I'm pretty sure where it's been. And they can tell it to not start the next time you shut it off in case of a non-payment indecent. I don't have the data as to if this keeps a record and it's hidden to make it very hard to bypass. I'm sure there are privacy laws governing this type of thing but hard to put the bird back in the cage once its out.

OnStar I know had/has a big bruhaha about it's system tattling on you and there are ways to bypass/nullify it if you don't wish to have that service. Ford on the other hand has live operators standard for the Ford Sync service. They can check on your current where-abouts for emergency purposes. I don't think that it remembers where you've been (bread crumbs). However the Ford Nav system probably does. A system hard reset would/should clear all this info. (found in the system menu on the center screen) If it doesn't, there is probably no user way to do it then. Again, privacy laws I would imagine take over.

Short story. I purchased my ford from a private party via online connection. (very positive experience btw). Over the course of our email exchange I asked or figured out specific details of his location, real name and occupation. We used his dealership as the middleman for our transaction and they "should" have wiped all his personal info from the vehicle since I was effectively purchasing the vehicle from the dealership. In the GPS logs/addresses I found his name, home phone number, and address. Yikes.

No voice recording tech that I've ever heard or read about built-in. Unless you have given the FBI, CIA, or USDHS reason to place one. :shades:

• Like 1