3M Sticker/Wrap Removal

Cellbine

I was thinking about this today and I wanted to give you guys this information I found when working on my grill recently.

As most of you know, I recently Plasti-dip'd my grill. Before that, I had my grill wrapped in 3M wrap. It is a strong and sturdy product but I made some noob mistakes when installing it. I didn't depress the wrap into the grooves in the middle of each grill inserts. At the time, I didn't know to heat the wrap up a little bit (or whatever other methods are out there) to get it to lay in without breaking or giving me a hard time. So the wrap was effectively suspended over the grooves. This worked at first, until I started driving during bug season. When bugs would hit my grill, they would break the wrap letting the silver grill underneath show through. This happened enough that a lot of grill was showing through, it looked bad up close.

So I decided to Plasti-dip my grill, but before doing that I had to remove the 3M wrap. So here is what I really wanted to share with you all. The wrap ended up being pretty difficult to remove. When I eventually peeled it off, it left a lot of sticky residue on the inserts that we had to scrub and clean off with a lot of effort. When cleaning the inserts, the residue didn't remove any chrome color, but I don't know if the same could be said if you applied this to the body of your car.

Basically, I just want you to be aware that if you do use this product and end up taking it off in the future, this is what you could be in-store for. FYI.