Install LockPick On 13 Limited

I have received a MyFordTouch LockPick for our '13 Edge Limited so that my wife can program the navigation (from the passenger's seat) while we're in motion. It also gives the capability to add a front camera which she thinks will be handy in some parking situations. :shrug:

I have the factory service manual but it is less than helpful describing how to pull out the head unit. The two silver side trim pieces on the center stack must be removed followed by the console panel and then the HU itself. The Lock Pick then plugs into the back of the HU. The trim pieces are attached with clips but there is no indication of what direction to pull. Should I pry them off upwards or sideways? Start at the top or near the console box? I don't want to break the clips so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for that link! That's tremendously helpful.

However, I doubt I'll be able to answer your question about nav and video because I have no plans to ever have video playing while moving. Although I suppose I could try it out in a parking lot someplace just to see if it works. I'll let you know.

The MFT LockPick works with most '13 Ford models with MyFordTouch including the Fusion as well as '11-'13 Explorer and Edge.

Price if hefty... This would be ideal on a lifted F-150... Front camera and rear camera. I would use it for backing my boat into the water, or getting my tow hitch in line.. As for the video while moving, my wife would enjoy that but not me, since i'd be driving. The aux features are pretty cool.. But again for the price, damn!

Yup, you're right, the price is quite high. It's more than twice what I paid for basically the same device for my Mustang (except that one was made by PAC). "She who must be obeyed" loved the utility so much that there was no question we would be getting one for the Edge despite the cost. If the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy. ;)

• Like 1

Testing in a parking lot would be great. My old Mazda 3 had an aftermarket nav/head unit that could play video from an iPhone and such. It was great on our annual trips to FL. My wife could watch movies and I could listen. I understand the need to not allow that feature to the mass market, but I also know that I have no distraction issues while driving. It's just like listening to book on disc to me.

Testing in a parking lot would be great. My old Mazda 3 had an aftermarket nav/head unit that could play video from an iPhone and such. It was great on our annual trips to FL. My wife could watch movies and I could listen. I understand the need to not allow that feature to the mass market, but I also know that I have no distraction issues while driving. It's just like listening to book on disc to me.

Same here, haha!

Edited by Eatinitup

• 1 month later...

I have received a MyFordTouch LockPick for our '13 Edge Limited so that my wife can program the navigation (from the passenger's seat) while we're in motion. It also gives the capability to add a front camera which she thinks will be handy in some parking situations. :shrug:

I have the factory service manual but it is less than helpful describing how to pull out the head unit. The two silver side trim pieces on the center stack must be removed followed by the console panel and then the HU itself. The Lock Pick then plugs into the back of the HU. The trim pieces are attached with clips but there is no indication of what direction to pull. Should I pry them off upwards or sideways? Start at the top or near the console box? I don't want to break the clips so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hey TheWizard, how's that LOCKPICK working, I want to do the same thing, but most of the stereo shops here in Florida advise that they have issues with that unit. Please let me know, thanks

I installed mine last week using the video that was posted in this thread. U start by opening the center armrest and pulling the chrome trim up (toward roof) that starts underneath the the center armrest till those clips pop, where the chrome trim starts to bend upwards your going to pull towards you. Once those pop the trim piece needs to be angled up and will just lift out from under the dash. I pulled the video up on my phone and paused it step my step as i took the dash apart.

To be honest, I haven't installed it yet. I had the front end off last weekend to install a remote radar detector, front camera, and strobe lights. I'm going to try to install the inside stuff (including the LockPick) this weekend if I can.

Any info yet on the install ? I saw some info saying that you only get a few minutes of video play.. then it resets.

• 8 months later...