Thinking of signing up for insuranc discount using sync for healt report

It has no way of knowing if you're speeding unless you go fast enough to be clearly speeding on any road (e.g. more than 80 mph). That's because it has no way of knowing the speed limit of the road you're on.

My understanding is that they use:

- mileage to determine how much you drive - the more you drive the more likely you are to be involved in a crash.

- the time of day you drive - driving at rush hour is more perilous than during other times of day although 1:00-2:00 in the morning can also be a problem unless you work the night shift.

- acceleration and braking force - repeated heavy acceleration and/or braking indicates someone who drives aggressively.

I don't think you can get location information through the OBD II port. Certainly there is no position information if the car isn't equipped with factory navigation and I don't think the navigation system provides that information through the OBD II port. Even GM's OnStar system can only provide location by triangulation using the cellular signal and that also doesn't get stored or provided through the diagnostic port. Police investigators have to remove the data module after an airbag deployment in order to get terminal speed, acceleration/decelleration, braking force and similar information - they can't just plug in a reader to get that data.

Not that a healthy dose of caution isn't warranted, just that location information isn't currently available through the diagnostics port.

I just called Progressive. I was curious. The rep said that it only records 3 fields. They are distance driven per day, how often you drive between midnight and 4 a. M., and how heavily you brake. She also said the braking one was the most important.

Don't have to. You just need your own GPS receiver in the module and get the power from port. It doesn't even have to do the math to get position. It doesn't care. It would just store enough raw data that the position could be determined when the data is pulled.

For me the GPS concern was coming more from our security then from me. My guess is that this information was coming from our customers.

Interesting. And certainly possible although I'm not sure how good the satellite reception would be from under the dash. But Progressive at least specifically disclaims having any kind of GPS electronics in their "Snapshot" device.

Interesting. And certainly possible although I'm not sure how good the satellite reception would be from under the dash. But Progressive at least specifically disclaims having any kind of GPS electronics in their "Snapshot" device.

With All-State and Progressive, you can log in daily to their website and review your stats.. The biggest complaint people have on these devices is that they NEVER hit the brakes hard, yet they get negative reviews on their stats for HARD BRAKING.. I personally didn't do it because All-State claims to give you a discount but the people who have done it, find its not a discount at all.. You get 10% off your Insurance Premium just for signing up, then a total of up too 20% more, equaling a total of 30%. But what they don't tell you is, its not 30% across the top.. Its 1% off here and there in different areas, but not off the total bill. All in all, people are only seeing a total of like 14$ off thier premium every 6 months.. To me that is bullshit, to have to have that device in my car for 90 days... ONLY 14$, LOL

There is no device added to car, i guess cause my edge has nav system, the sync system talks to my blue tooth enabled phone and ask if i want to to a report. no OBDII port involved. Yes, only $15 every 6 months savings. Agent said possible additional discount if miles driven is on low side.

There is no device added to car, i guess cause my edge has nav system, the sync system talks to my blue tooth enabled phone and ask if i want to to a report. no OBDII port involved. Yes, only $15 every 6 months savings. Agent said possible additional discount if miles driven is on low side.

Ahh ok! With all state its a device that plugs into your port. 15$ really isn't worth the entire hassle if you ask me!