Remote Start GEN-2 System trouble

Maybe "trouble" is not the right word.

I recently bought an 08 Limited with the Ford GEN-2 remote start. I am the third owner. I have NO prior experience with systems like this however I am more than capable.

It appears that there are two systems; a single button remote start and a multi-button remote start. Since I have no key fobs other than what came with the car, I have no idea what type of system I have. I am hoping the system works with the factory issued key fob however there is no icon on the fob that show the typical cirle and arrow graphic.

I have found the installation manual online and pulled the front pannel off the dash and have been able to verify the unit is indeed a GEN-2 unit down to the part numbers for the module assembly and the PATS interface kit.

One of my questions is, does this system require system dedicated FOBs to work in addition to the standard factory FOB that came with the car? Does anyone have this system that runs off the standard factory FOBs?

Once I can get that question answered I can move on to hopefully using the system assuming I need to either program, reset or buy FOBs to accomplish this task (no idea where to buy the FOBs from).

What happens now is when I unlock the doors using the factory FOB the alarm goes off with what sounds like a random pattern. I may be too busy trying to disarm it to actually listen and see if there is a pattern at all.

To disarm the alarm I have to insert the key, turn to start (don't have to start it) and then hit the button under the dash.

The alarm doesn't always go off but it is getting anoying.

I haven't been able to find an LED that is supposed to blink with codes and I am currious if it's possible the installation uses a light on the instrument cluster like maybe the brake light or the security light?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

OBTW... great car, looks like new and my next task is to change the rear wheel bearing hub assy's due to the noise that occurs on this things.

Thnaks in advance!

Rick

it sounds like u have an alarm/remote start combo.to make sure of this see if there is an antenna mounted to the windshield some where behind the rear mirror. there should be an .L.E.D. mounted somewhere on the dash. if u do not see it check on the top of steering wwheel cover. I have even seen them mounted in the lower kick area.If youhave all this,it requires a seperate remte which has 4 buttons..

Yup, the antenna is right up by the rear view mirror. No remotes so I will need to buy a couple. Any idea where to get them? I have found the manuals, both installation and user guide online. Still can't find the LED though. I'll pull the fuse box cover off and maybe it's in there.

Now the alarm comes on everytime I unlock the door. Haven't tried the keypad yet but I will.