MKX - Speaker Fade - High Bass and MAX Volume

I would say it is not normal to play anything at max volume...ever. Not sure about the sound wave-type fading, but you're definitely clipping and damaging your sub. Your regular door speakers aren't built to handle much lower than ~200 hz, so if you have the bass cranked and the high pass filter off, or no high pass filter, you're probably damaging or have blown your door speakers. ...How does that sound good?

It doesn't seem like anything is blown. I can feel air whuffing out of each speaker. It just can't handle high volume, high bass before quickly quieting down. I just don't know why it quiets down.

It should also be stated that I am not a sound guy by any means lol.

Edited by WhiteMKX2008

Time to go aftermarket and build what you want. In your first gen MKX, it is a LOT easier.

This.

It's important to note that, while the stereo may be able to handle playing at "max", the speakers don't have the volume knob on them, meaning, they take whatever signal the head unit gives them. Usually, beyond 3/4 max volume, the signal sent out from the head unit is clipped, meaning it is a squared off sine wave. This is damaging to the speakers, and I'm quite surprised that they are "smart" enough to do something about it. All of my aftermarket systems would just shut down or blow up. lol

This.

It's important to note that, while the stereo may be able to handle playing at "max", the speakers don't have the volume knob on them, meaning, they take whatever signal the head unit gives them. Usually, beyond 3/4 max volume, the signal sent out from the head unit is clipped, meaning it is a squared off sine wave. This is damaging to the speakers, and I'm quite surprised that they are "smart" enough to do something about it. All of my aftermarket systems would just shut down or blow up. lol

I am also glad it's smart enough to protect itself from the engineers who designed the volume knob :)

:) That's kind of what I thought. But honestly, I would think any system that allows you to set it to MAX in the first place would be able to handle playing at MAX. Maybe my ears are just damaged from too much clubbing when I was younger, so I need it LOUD :)

You might want to avoid maxing out the tach and speedometer...you might be disappointed...

• Like 2