Trying to get into an Edge soon

TheyCallMeBT

Hey folks! You can call me BT (as my name suggests, lol). I have had a 2000 F-150 Lariat since I was 16, so right at ten years. I have loved my truck, but I've been trying to get into a small-ish SUV for a while. My parents have had an Excursion for about as long as I have had my F-150. Despite its size, I enjoy driving it. Just not parking it in some places!

I had looked at the Escape for a while. I really was interested in an early 2000s (and probably high mileage) BMW X3, but that was a bit of a pipe dream. I could have afforded an older one with high mileage, but common sense tells me that that isn't how to go about buying a vehicle. Besides that any repair/ maintenance costs would be pretty extreme.

So I have really liked the Edge ever since it came out, but it has always seemed out of my price range. Recently, I had decided to search for a late model Explorer. It's a good vehicle, but not the most attractive thing. But just in the past few weeks, I started looking at the Edge again, and it's definitely in my price range now. So as long as it feels right when I do a test drive, it's what I'll be going for.

I'd love to get into one for about $16k, but realistically, I'm thinking I'll have to go for about $19k-- and it be a pretty good deal. I'm trying to go for less than 60k miles so that the 5 year warranty would still be active, even if only for a few months to a year. Leather is a must for me, and power liftgate is top priority.

I am in video production, so I have a good bit of equipment I need to keep with me at all times. I'm currently making do with one of those metal, lockable toolboxes in the bed of my truck. For lights and support/ rigging kind of equipment. Plus the half backseat of the truck for my camera bag and my run and go tripod. But to be able to just pop the back open and grab my camera bag and tripod, rather than have to fumble at the side of the vehicle (if there's another car parked next to me)-- that will just be great.

I know that from 2011 and probably since then, power liftgate is only available on Limited and Sport. But in 2010 and previous, it is available on SEL.

I see a bunch of them on the road now that I'm looking for it. I think it always goes that way. lol. I'm used to having a common vehicle with my F-150, but I've never seen one that looks just like mine. White, Lariat, and flareside. It's an attractive model. So I'd like to get into one that doesn't look like every other one you see on the road (white, silver, and black mostly). I love Kona Blue, and Dark Blue Ink Metallic is also nice. So I hope to find one that looks really nice and sets it apart from the others a bit.

And from reading on here (a great resource), I know that in the first two years, 2007 and 2008, there were brake issues. So I have been avoiding looking at those models. Should I stick to that, or is it not as big of a deal as it sounds like? <------- This is my main important question, if you didn't read the whole thing. :)

Edited by TheyCallMeBT

I have an '08. No brake issues here... You could definitely find an SEL with ~60k for $19k. I got my SEL last year for $19k flat with 69k on it. No leather or power liftgate, though. Others have had better luck, though. My car came with a three year, 30k mile warranty since I purchased it from a dealer. I say pull the trigger. You'll be happy ya did.

Ok, awesome. I might open my search criteria to include 07 and 08, then. I'm currently waiting to hear back from financing before I can make a move. It might be more like November before I can make it happen.

I have a work associate (and friend) whose main job (outside of broadcasting) is owning a used car lot. So he's watching the auctions for me. And otherwise, if I go with a dealership, my dad is a bit of an expert at getting deals on vehicles, so I'll definitely be using him and keeping my mouth shut while looking at the car/ negotiating. lol.

You know what, I didn't actually know that you could purchase a new warranty on a used vehicle. Had no idea. Would it have to be from a Ford dealership? About how much would that run?

I see from your sig that yours is an ink blue metallic-- my second top choice. Where can I see pics? :)

I checked it out. It is a beautiful color. Well good news, I got preapproved for a $10k loan, 48 mos., 3.2% interest from my local credit union. I'm paying $10k or $11k down in cash, so I hope to only have to use between $8k and $9k of the loan.

This is a model that I'm currently looking at online. It's a little more than an hour away from me, and I have to find a day that my dad can go with me with his excellent negotiating skills. It's listed for $20,999. If I could get it for $19k flat, I'd be happy. It's a certified pre owned from Ford, so that means 12 mos./ 12,000 miles comprehensive warranty, and then 7 year/ 100k miles (total) of the lesser type warranty. Plus 7 years roadside assistance.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=118614270&tracktype=usedcc

03.jpg

On that one, the mileage is just under 60k. 2010 and FWD. Has a sunroof and it's a Limited. It definitely has some bells and whistles. It's priced a dollar short of $21k.

So yours was also priced at $21k, and you got it for $19k flat, right? When you say flat, do you mean including taxes and any kinds of fees?

You'll be able to answer this for me-- what can that stereo head unit do on the 2010? The standard level one. I know it is branded as SYNC. Does it work over bluetooth with your phone for both phone calls and music? And can you answer calls and also skip songs from the steering wheel controls? When someone is calling, does it show the name of the person on the screen? Did you keep it or get an after market unit? Edit: nevermind, I see that you did get a new head unit. I'll check it out. But I'm hoping you had the standard one long enough to answer those questions. If not, I'll make a new thread to see. Thanks!

Edited by TheyCallMeBT

...unfortunately I won't be able to answer that for your, since I put in a new headunit the week I got it. lol I can still use the steering wheel controls and it does show contact names (my new one).

I'm pretty sure mine was listed at just under $21k.... and yeah, $19k flat, inclusive of taxes and all. Sounds like you're getting a deal!

Thanks, Phil!

...unfortunately I won't be able to answer that for your, since I put in a new headunit the week I got it. lol I can still use the steering wheel controls and it does show contact names (my new one).

I'm pretty sure mine was listed at just under $21k.... and yeah, $19k flat, inclusive of taxes and all. Sounds like you're getting a deal!

Haha, ok. I'll make a new thread to ask, but I'd probably end up getting something new, any way. Pioneer has a new unit that is very "connected" called AppRadio 3. But with that comes a lot more chances for it to mess up.

Well it'll be a good deal if I can make it happen, but I'm far from it. I don't know if dealerships are embracing this "make an online offer" idea, or if it's just a thing that they think they have to do. But I responded to an email response I got from the Internet sales manager a few days ago. Based on it being a three owner, and that they have been trying to sell it since June 1st, I told him I'd be prepared to offer 80% of the asking price, at $16,800 out the door, if my inspection and test drive checked out. So just from his response, I'll learn something. Then if I do go up to the lot (it's closer to two hours away), they don't ever have to know that it was me, unless someone just puts two and two together. Think that's a decent strategy? lol.