Line Output Converter (LOC) for aftermarket sub amp?

Tried searching but didn't find an answer for this.

I have a 2013 Sport Edge with the Sony system. I upgraded my sub to an Alpine Type R with a mono Alpine amp I had when I first got it. The amp has speaker level inputs so I just tapped into the speaker wires going to the stock sub.

I want to replace the Alpine amp with my JBL Crown which is by far superior - a lot more power, a lot more crossover and level adjustment options, and has a remote level control so I can easily adjust the base level with the turn of a knob right at the dash.

The Crown only has RCA inputs though, so I need to install a LOC (AudioControl LC2i). I like a lot of tight mid-bass and one of the advantages of this set up is that I can tap into a wider frequency range than what's going to the factory sub since the signal to it is crossed over at a pretty low.

My question is - where can I tap into a full range signal? I believe the factory system is crossed over before going to the amps?

I would guess that the signal from the head unit itself doesn't have any processing, usually that is done at the amplifier. If you use an AudioControl LC8i, even if the head unit does the processing, it will sum all the frequencies into 6 or 8 full range RCA outputs. I have used this piece many times over the years, most recently on a VW with the Fender system, and it works great!

Good luck

PS- due to the very complex electronics in our vehicles, I would recommend you take the time to solder and shrink tube the connections, cleaner signal and safer.

Hollywood1, on 12 Sept 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I would guess that the signal from the head unit itself doesn't have any processing, usually that is done at the amplifier. If you use an AudioControl LC8i, even if the head unit does the processing, it will sum all the frequencies into 6 or 8 full range RCA outputs.

I already had both the Alpine & JBL amps and went with the Alpine at first since it was quick and easy install just tapping into the speaker wires right at the sub. From what I recall, there is an individual harness going to each of the factory amps so the signal may be crossed over before the amps, or within each amp itself.

I've used the Lc8i and it's a great unit if you're going with multiple amps and a guaranteed solution to capture a full range signal that can be crossed over to any taste.

Since I'm only adding one single channel amp - I think I have two simpler, cheaper options that will work.

Option 1:

Lc2i tapping into speaker level inputs:

L Channel: speaker wires going to the sub

R Channel: speaker wires going to one of the rear doors

Should be really simple and will avoid having to dig around through the main wiring harness before the amps.

Option 2:

No LOC - tap into the harness going to the amps

I can avoid using a LOC altogether by tapping into the pre-amp wires of the factory harness directly using a set of RCA's I have with individual + and - leads at one end. Doesn't matter what the voltage is as the Crown can be adjusted to the line input voltage.

With option 2 I'm still faced with the same uncertainty of knowing whether I'm capturing a full range signal tapping into the harness going to the sub amp until I do it. I guess it's not really a big deal though as all I'd have to do is change one side to one of the rear speaker signals going to the other amp.

Thoughts???

Edited by edgesportguy

It sounds like the setup you have is working for you, the LC2 seems like the perfect option at this point. If you can get a full range signal, it will give you up to 8volts on the preout, so you get MUCH more signal and you'll get bass frequencies from 20hz to whatever you like. The factory Sony sub is 60-90hz range according to an installer I talked to with an analyzer, so getting a full signal and crossing your sub over around 120-150hz is going to give you that midrange punch you are after.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...