Advice on doing brakes myself for 2011 Edge

I'm looking to do the brakes on my wife's 2011 Edge SEL soon, all 4 corners. It's got 55k miles and we still have the originals on there. It's been quite a few years since I've done a brake job, but I'd like to try and do this one myself.

I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't been able to find a how-to guide that walks through the process. Does anyone have any good resources you can point me to? I mean, I know generally how to change brakes, but I could use a refresher, and are there any gotchas or special things to be aware of on the Edge? Just want to be prepared so I don't take the car apart and then run into something unexpected.

Second, the actual products to use...the OEM ones are pulsing a little bit (despite me trying to be careful with them, the rotors have never quite been the same since our big trip out west with lots of mountain driving). I wouldn't mind getting something a little nicer, as long as it doesn't cost a ton (this is the wife/familymobile, after all, it's not driven aggressively), and I came across this kit which is very highly reviewed. Any thoughts or alternate recommendations?

Thanks for your advice.

Aftermarket rotors can be cheaper than OEM and in some cases better, but you have to be careful especially with drilled rotors. They can crack. Personally I would get regular ones or slotted but not cross drilled. If you really want cross drilled get a good brand name.

These won't help with stopping on the street - they'd just be decorative.

Nothing difficult except for the rears that I assume have to be turned in due to the parking brake. You'll need a special tool. Don't get the cheap universal tool - get the dedicated Ford tool. I think NAPA has them for about $20. The hard part is pushing the piston in and turning at the same time.

Other than that it's straight forward. Don't forget the lube for the back of the pads to reduce noise. If you're replacing the rotors you may have trouble getting the caliper holder off. You'll probably need a big socket or wrench and a breaker bar.

Thanks for your thoughts, akirby.

I'm not planning on turning the rotors -- my experiences with that have had mixed results, often resulting in warping again shortly after. If I'm going to get in there and do the brakes, I'd prefer to go ahead and just replace the rotors too. On past vehicles, a wrench and a rubber mallet have gotten calipers off for me.

I was drawn by the drilled and slotted kit I linked to because my understanding is that's going to be more resistant to heat. If I find myself in the mountains again with my 4200lb Edge, it might be nice. I can get that kit for a little over $400. The other option I'm looking at is this kit (link), with solid rotors, for about $290. You're probably right, the drilled/slotted ones are likely overkill.

Well, I was using engine braking, but apparently not enough. Thanks for your advice.

You really shouldn't have to use the brakes much at all. I forgot if you have select-shift - if so just keep it in the lowest gear possible. Otherwise, put it in L and cancel overdrive and you should be able to get away with minimal braking. If you do have to use them, try to get off of them frequently to let them cool. Hard brakes then coast is better than riding the brakes for several minutes at a time.