wifi on my ford touch

I have not tried this but I think the use of Wifi on the MFT works something like this. Connect MFT to your phone's internet (mobile hotspot) then others in the car can connect wifi to MFT with your phone providing the data connection. And yes you could just bypass MFT and have others connect directly to your phone.

There was supposed to be a built-in browser and maybe some other features that would use the wifi connection but those got usurped by bug fixes. As it is there isn't any use for it since the devices that could connect to the vehicle's hotspot could also just as easily connect to the wifi source directly too.

Actually- the built in browser- was on the show models at the auto shows back in 2009. In 2010 when MFT/MLT was released as a production model there was no browser. So bug fixes did not remove this feature.

In addition, the "show" of the wifi feature being used with "plug -in" style usb devices to get to the internet was show on the pre-production models. Unfortunately, when MFT/MLT came to market the usb style devices already out in the market were NOT COMPATIBLE & Ford REFUSED to partner with any of the companies to provide that service.

So no browser, no USB to get out to internet, & no explanation to the if you can get a hotspot on phone or some other mobile hotspot then why add Ford into the mix if your already have success in getting people in car to the internet?

Then in bug fixes on MFT system itself...if you still tried to attempted to use this non useful feature the ability to enter passwords successfully was compromised- first with the touch screen keypad being grayed out in some cases & then changing the length to only 10 characters in a world that has pushed passwords to longer lengths wit more complex patterns.

Then even if you got "in"...as many have stated ----then what? Updates are not done over wifi, gracenotes is not updated over wifi, nothing happens over wifi...so Yeepee you got connected for nothing...

But then why does Ford keep this feature when they have REMOVED so many , many more features that owners loved & used? I guess we will never know....