2007 Ford Edge sputters really bad when accelerating like someone is tapping the brakes..? No codes thrown..?

Matt Pettigrew

2007 Ford Edge sputters really bad when accelerating like someone is tapping the brakes..? No codes thrown..?

It feels like someone is smashing the brakes repeatedly as fast as they can untill I give it some gas and it seems to straighten out. I was thinking spark plugs missfiring maybe since there is no codes being thrown. Im lost and need help with this one.
Im not saying its the brakes it just has the feelings of brakes being tapped over and over when accelerating at rate to keep the current speed. Like its trying to die feeling but its not trying to die. Its been getting worse the last few days, but always seems to be the worse when accelerating at a normal rate like i said above.

• 2 weeks later...

How many miles does the Edge have? A misfire or bad coils will take time to throw a code if its a intermittent problem. Does it do it consistently or random? Like only at start up? Or after its to running temp does it go away?

The taping of brakes feeling means something is dragging in the powertrain or loss of power....motor, trans.

This could be a very hard problem to diagnose with out a code! You may want to wait for a code before jumping into it!