Do TSBs have to be followed, or are they more of a guideline?

marriedgeek

We're dealing with an issue where we needed a PCM and some ignition coils replaced on our car. According to TSB 13-04-17, the emissions warranty covers all parts and labor. Ford only replaced the PCM and one of the 6 coils, instead of all 6 as it calls for (long story short, I paid out of pocket for the other 5 because a local shop advised me to do so according to this TSB).

They claim the technician did a standard diagnosis and only needed to replace the one coil (and PCM).

My question is, if a vehicle comes in with the problems listed in the TSB, does a dealer HAVE to follow it, or can they deviate? I.e., if the TSB says to replace all 6, even if some are good, do they still have to replace all 6? Thanks.

Reading your posts on this subject, I will say I feel bad for you. You have placed yourself between a rock and a hard place when you originally had an independent mechanic do previous replacement of the coils.

I really don't know what Ford will or will not do in your case. Hopefully you have contacted Ford customer service and have them working on this also.

A TSB is simply a guideline for the dealership to help them resolve an issue. It's not a warranty. It just means that Ford is willing to pay for the repair if the vehicle is under warranty.

Try a new dealer - just be up front with them and tell them you weren't satisfied by the other dealer and you're looking for a new one.