Rear caliper brake tool questions

wlepse

I recently did the fronts and took a quick look at the rears. While there is plenty of pad I just want to get it done since we have had bad luck with the stock pads. Anyway, I confirmed I need a two pin adaptor but I have seen both right and left handed version. Can anyone confirm which way these need to be turned to push them in? Also...what the hell is the part hanging off the caliper? Any other tips or recommendations for getting these done?

Figures...I bought the kit yesterday and figured I would do my brakes tonight but I can't get the rotor off. Did a search but seems most posts are for pre 2011 and mention backing the e brake off the inside of tophat. Mine has ebrake as part of caliper so that isn't it. Does anyone have a shop manual to confirm how these come off? I have the torx screw out but it almost looks like I may have to remove the axle nut so I can take a cup off that is holding rotor on. Ideas? I don't mind going caveman on it but don't want to assume a big hammer is the go to tool.

As long as the tool fits the holes, you should be able to turn it either way. Like it was mentioned, there shouldn't be a left or a right hand tool. I have even turned those adjusters in by using a brass bar or a pin punch inserted into only one hole and hitting it with a hammer to turn it. You just have to make sure you are turning it the correct way.

Ā 

You have to loosen a brake cable equalization nut to remove the cable from the caliper. Still having trouble posting the pictures from the service manual (it says I'm not allowed to post that type of file-trying to use JPEG). Here's the copy of the procedure.

Ā 

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02
  1. Remove the wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
  1. Relieve the tension in the parking brake cable by loosening the parking brake cable equalizer adjustment nut.

SDV~us~en~file=N0059407_250.JPG~gen~ref.

1. Release the parking brake cable from the brake caliper and remove the parking brake cable.
  1. NOTE: New copper washers are required when installing the brake caliper flow bolt.

Remove the brake caliper flow bolt and discard the copper washers.
    • To install, tighten to 25Nm (18 lb-ft).
  1. Remove and discard the brake pads. For additional information, refer to Brake Pads in this section.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Bleed the brake caliper. For additional information, refer to Component Bleeding in Section 206-00 .
  1. Adjust the parking brake cable. For additional information, refer to Section 206-05 .

Some vehicles require pressure while turning so that is where the right/left hand thread would come in to play but based onwhat you are saying for this design all you need to do is turn it in whichever direction...probablt CW. Wasn't planning on adjusting the brake cable. But does it give you info on rotor removal? Like I mentioned above I have the torx off but nothing is moving. Normally I would just whack it but if I don't get it off I don't want to have a damaged rotor.

OK, I see that your caliper is already off, correct? And the rotor turns freely on the axle? Your rotor is probable stuck to the hub because of rust, salt corrosion, etc. If all of the torx screws are out (sometimes there are two, maybe three) it should come off. You can put a block of wood behind the rotor and hit it with a hammer. Sometimes you can put a jack bolt into the threaded holes that the torx screws were in and pop it off that way.

Ā 

No need to remove any hub nut, sounds like it is just "frozen" on. When you put it back on, clean the outside of the hub center and put on a little Never-Seeze or something similar.

Ā 

Just checked the service manual and they do suggest a jack bolt. I would try the wood and hammer first at this point.

Ā 

1. Thread a M10 bolt into the brake disc removal hole and tighten to press the brake disc off the hub.

Installation

1. Clean any rust or foreign material from brake disc and wheel hub.
    • Use specified brake parts cleaner to clean the brake disc and hub mating surfaces.
  1. Apply a thin coat of specified anti-seize lubricant to the hub flange.
Edited by ls973800

Thanks. Torx screw is out there was only one. I tried kicking the rotor a few times but it didn't budge. My old Integra had aflat head to hold the rear rotor on too but did have (2) jack bolts on the top hat this rotor has none. That was why I was starting to wonder if something else is holding it on. I did find a posting on an F150 forum where they mention using the caliper bracket to push the rotor off. Tomorrow morning I will see what I can get in there.

Well the caliper tool bent trying to push the rotor off so I got a hammer. I ended up using a 4lb hammer and hearing protection because I was banging so hard. Not sure if it was just coincidence or not but both sides finally broke free when I hit the bottom edge. Can't believe how rusted on these were with less than 40k on the clock. Hell my rotors on the Audi came off much easier with 60k on rears & 230k overall.

If you read some of the F150 forums, the 4X4's are notorious for having stuck rotors. Some owner's have had to heat them up, or even cut them off they were stuck so badly. Lots of ideas about how to remove them, some of which actually work pretty well.

Ā 

Glad to hear you got yours off without messing with the axle nut.

• 1 month later...

2011 edge here. Just did the rear brakes. I had to turn the calipers pistons cw and the puston retracted without any issues. Both cw. And the dangling thing you asked about is a noise eliminator. It matches the high frequency pitch we call brake noise squeal. I had to research it myself since I never seen it. Does it work? I don't know. .. my brakes don't make noise. I just threw in pads and cleaned everything and our light coat of brake grease on all contact points. Brakes are good.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...