I've spent a few hours skimming through a lot of the HID threads. Noticed a little confusion at first, but seems like a lot of people opted for the 9006 bulb. Doesn't seem to be any real issues, but with the 9012s available from Morimoto I assumed that would be my best bet. The only issue when selecting that kit is the lack of the XB35 bulbs. Just called RetroFit and they told me to go with the 9006, they're either are out of stock with the 9012s or never received them yet?! Anyone order the 9012 kit from The RetroFit Source?

Set-up: 9006 Kit

Ballasts - 5Five DSP

XB35 - 5000K Bulbs

Harness - Canbus

I read with the 5Five ballasts and the 5000k bulb it gives a good white light, just curious if the more powerful xb35 bulbs might give it a little blue colour to it? I also own a Canadian Edge. I read some problems regarding the DRL and having the dealership switch them over to turn-signals. Is this a problem for all Canadian edges, or does it vary?

In short:

9006 or 9012 Kit

XB35 5000K bulb or just the 5000k bulb

Thanks

I just got my 9012 Morimoto kit last week and it shipped with 9006 bulbs. Everything worked but there is some trimming needed on one of the tabs. They go in fine without trimming but you will get a shadow from the return wire. The bulbs had to be rotated 1 tab clockwise so the wire is at the bottom of the projector. If you looking at the back of the projector the tab that hits the slot at 2 o'clock needs to be trimmed down. I just used a toe nail clipper and cutoff the excess slowly until it fit in.

I believe that you may want the wire harness and the canbus. I may be wrong, but I don't believe the canbus connects to the battery so the 55w kit may put a strain on the factory wiring while firing the hids. I thought that the stand alone canbus was basically just a capacitor to balance out the flicker with the lower load of DRLs.

I don't know about the different look to the XB35 bulbs, I just got the standard kit because I thought I was getting 9012 bulbs. I got the 55w 5000k kit. They are super bright and the color is perfect, it's a very crisp white without the blue tint of xenon halogen bulbs.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely keep that info handy regarding the install with the 9006 bulbs. I don't recall reading that I needed both the relay harness and the canbus, but you could definitely be correct. I'll have to skim though some other threads. I'll likely just go with the standard bulbs instead of the XB35 to ensure I don't end up with blue tinted lights. Thanks

I did both. I used canbus ballasts that worked by themselves well with lights on normal and on DRL. I was paranoid about screwing up the electrical system so I also installed a relay. I changed the relay harness battery feed wire from 18 guage to 12 guage just to be sure the ballasts get enough juice on initial start-up. This set up has worked flawlessly from day one.

John

Anyone with a Canadian/Cali Edge, did you install just the relay, canbus, or both? thanks

I tryed both. The canbus is useless for Edge. At least the TRS canbus is useless.

We do need a relay. The edge fuse can not handle even 35W HID.

I still have DRL problem (flickering) even on relay harness.

I did both. I used canbus ballasts that worked by themselves well with lights on normal and on DRL. I was paranoid about screwing up the electrical system so I also installed a relay. I changed the relay harness battery feed wire from 18 guage to 12 guage just to be sure the ballasts get enough juice on initial start-up. This set up has worked flawlessly from day one.

John

Which canbus ballast are you using? I tryed the TRS canbus with their ballast and it didn't work well. Can you post more details? If your setting is working well I wil follow your setup.

The DRL make me crazy. And I'm still have problem with DRL.

I used a 35W kit from Absolute HID. The kit used Canbus Pro Ballasts and 9006 bulbs. Absolute HID threw in an inexpensive 9006 relay harness. I changed the harness main feed wire from the relay to the battery to a 12 guage wire. The original was only 18 guage. When I installed the system the relay buzzed when the lights were in DRL mode so I installed a 1100MFD capacitor I had lying around on the switch side of the relay (you could use anything from 1100MFD to 4700MFD). That fixed the DRL buzz. Never had a buzz when the lights were full on. The only other issue I had was the cheap relay that came with the harness would occasionally stick on so I replaced that and all has been well since. When you use a relay you don't really need to use a canbus ballast. I did just because the Canbus Pro Ballasts were a better quality with a low failure rate.

This is what the ballast looks like...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?sa=X&biw=1520&bih=964&tbm=isch&tbnid=tq_nK4v6sk1pMM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fredchariot.ie%2Fhid-ballasts%2F140-1x-hid-xenon-replacement-canbus-pro-ballast-12v-35w-.html&docid=z5bZtsrkOxvm3M&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fredchariot.ie%2F140-1266-thickbox%2F1x-hid-xenon-replacement-canbus-pro-ballast-12v-35w-.jpg&w=800&h=537&ei=5HgsU-r5GaTgyQHC94HgAg&zoom=1&ved=0CFMQhBwwAA&iact=rc&dur=823&page=1&start=0&ndsp=33

Cheers