Cargo carrier question

aggie8387

Hi, newbie to the forum.....

I have a 2012 Ford Edge Limited. Just installed a hitch & wiring harness with plans to purchase a cargo carrier due to limited cargo space inside. I'm interested in buying a Rola 59110. It's a complete package that includes the carrier and weather tight container, and even has turn signals integrated into it. My concern is the rear pointing exhaust. The bottom of the carrier will not be much higher than the bumper with about 1 foot between the bumper and carrier. The manufacturer (Rola) says temps over 120 degrees F will damage their product. I used an infrared sensor to check the exhaust temp with the engine hot...it read about 130F. I know at highway speeds the heat will dissipate quickly, but am concerned about what can happen while sitting still. Does anyone know of a way to deflect the exhaust downward or to the side? Maybe something temporary that can be clamped on only when the carrier is in place? Any other suggestions?

The pic attached is a screen cap off a retailer's website.

post-31839-0-10001300-1407862626_thumb.jpg

That might work, but I wonder how well it would hold up for an exterior application. Getting hit with gravel, sand, etc, or even getting wet?

Update:

The wonderful folks at Rolaproducts.com, when asked what type of plastic is used, said, "soft, flexible plastic". Yeah, that really helps Had they said ABS or PVC, etc. at least I'd know what I am working with. Smart Alecs.

Looks like it will be plan B. I'll probably get the basket type and try to find a water-tight box/trunk to place in it.

Edited by aggie8387

• 1 month later...

The plastic material used by Rola is most likely high density polyethylene. Polyethylene will lose strength and soften at 200 deg. F.

I use the heavy duty Rola steel carrier with my 2012 Edge. The exhaust nozzles are lower than the bottom of the carrier frame and have not caused any heat problems. Just to be safe I installed aluminum flashing laced on with stainless steel tie wire under each end of the carrier. Without over heating I have hauled Igloo coolers, folded deck and lawn furniture, and a 200lb wild boar that I shot dead in Louisiana.

I ended up buying an aluminum basket-type carrier. I installed sheet aluminum on the front, sides and bottom of the carrier that will (1) deflect exhaust heat and (2) deflect dirt, gravel, etc from the contents of the carrier. Then I picked up 3 cargo boxes from Academy, added EPDM gaskets to the lids and have completely water-tight containers. I was able to test them while driving in a very heavy rain with them empty before trusting them with items needed on our upcoming vacation. The carrier extended directly behind the hitch, and in line with the exhaust, so I bought an adapter that raises the hitch insert about 8". That gives better ground clearance and pushes the carrier back enough that I can open the rear hatch with the carrier loaded.

I had a similar issue the first time I used my cargo tray going on vacation. I ended up finding this at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hitch-Haul-Folding-Receiver-Bar/20512803

It raises the cargo tray and moves it out a bit, just enough that heat is no longer an issue. Plus it allows me to fold it when I get to where I am going and not have to lug it into the hotel, condo etc.

One other suggestion...if you go the folding route add some split pipe insulation to the frame of the cargo tray. My unit came close to the bumper when folded. This little bit of foam keeps it from causing an damage.

Edited by wlepse