Boost stereo bass response?

Yeah, its MKX only, I have this problem with the Audiophile system, I turn on Comp(we have navi), but that seems to only help some of the time, these systems have really weak bass response, and I blame ford, the Mark LT loaner I got had A sub and I swear it was as if it wasn't there, and the settings we're maxed out.

Buy a powered subwoofer before you blow up what you have.

Bass controls maxed and you want more thump, huh? I'm mighty glad I live no where near you.

THX? Haven't heard about that in an Edge.

I have an MKX not an Edge (note signature). I was hoping that the THX system has a powered sub that can be adjusted but I can't find anything in the literature that deals with this. The literature I've read basically says the system is pre-balanced, but some types of music just sound better with a stronger bass response.

• 6 months later...
I have the THX stereo and I was wondering if there is a way to boost the bass response. I have the on-screen bass controls maxed and I would like to get a bit more thump going (I'm a Bose bass lover).

Well, if you have an Ipod, you can boost the bass on the Ipod and it will have more bass...

also if you want, try taking out the subwoofer in the back and insulate the opening with a little cotton, im not sure how much room you have back behind the sub.but be sure not to put to much cotton, the more you put the more tight it'll sound. Its a little cheat, but dont expect much more from that sub, cuz its placement there was for quality and beauty of music.

hope dis helped

I have the THX stereo and I was wondering if there is a way to boost the bass response. I have the on-screen bass controls maxed and I would like to get a bit more thump going (I'm a Bose bass lover).

Look under Ford Edge Accessories online and there is some stuff you can buy that is plug and play for the radio system in the Edge. It is a Blaupunkt package which consists of a bazoka style tube with a 12" woofer and a Blaupunkt Amplifier and all the plug in cables, not wiring to the battery at all it uses the stock harness. It is expensive too, but if you want to keep it all factory Ford this is the way to do it. I contacted my dealer here and they were able to find information about it but do not know how to install it and never did one.

It is a 300 Watt amplifier and one 12" that gets strapped in the cargo space. So if that is what you are looking for there is some information. I for one am an MECP installer and installed a converter and plugged in my own amp and wired a new 8 inch woofer but am going to put a new amp in and wire up some 12" woofers. I was scared about it since I have a 7 year 70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty but this does not void the warranty, only if it can be proven that your system did whatever might be the problem if warranty work is needed.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is enough room on the drivers side to locate a 2nd sub?

It's another idea altogether, but I took out the stock sub box, cut it's opening out a little wider, and managed to get an Alpine 12" in it. It was easier said than done and took a heat gun and some silicone but it's nice to have a real sub hidden in a stock spot. I have an Alpine amp hidden under the passenger seat to power it as well. I had to take out the air vent under that seat to get the amp under there but it now sounds crazy loud if I really crank the bass. Now I just need an aftermarket deck to really see what it can do.

It's another idea altogether, but I took out the stock sub box, cut it's opening out a little wider, and managed to get an Alpine 12" in it. It was easier said than done and took a heat gun and some silicone but it's nice to have a real sub hidden in a stock spot. I have an Alpine amp hidden under the passenger seat to power it as well. I had to take out the air vent under that seat to get the amp under there but it now sounds crazy loud if I really crank the bass. Now I just need an aftermarket deck to really see what it can do.

Nice to know a 12" will fit in there. My only concern would be taking the vent out under the seat to place the amp, since that is for the heated & cooled seat. I'd worry about starting a fire with the heat function on. I would think that perhaps the amp might fit in the spare tire well?

Nice to know a 12" will fit in there. My only concern would be taking the vent out under the seat to place the amp, since that is for the heated & cooled seat. I'd worry about starting a fire with the heat function on. I would think that perhaps the amp might fit in the spare tire well?

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I have a 10" Alpine in the stock box, not a 12" (I was a little tired during my last post). As for the vent, I don't have heated/cooled seats so the piece I took out only serves to provide more airflow at the feet of the rear passengers.

• 5 weeks later...

Youre S.O.L. on the "bass boost". The louder you turn it up, the less bass you get proportionally to the volume of the 4 door speakers. Its known as "roll off". Its a factory crap stereo trick to make it sound better when at low to middle volume but less bass when you crank it so the inevitable distortion that comes in doesnt ruin your factory speakers. You can go with an aftermarket unit like a JL Cleansweep or MTX Re-Q but its just not the same as a clean aftermarket head unit signal. Dont care what anyone says, youre only as good as your weakest link with the factory stereo...you fix the amplifier power, now your stock sub is holding you back...you replace the sub now your speakers are the weak point, etc. etc....

As for the vents under your seats, those arent the seat heaters...those are ducts to route more heat or AC to the back seat passengers the same way the front passengers have ducts for floor heat near the center stack. you could pretty easily place the amp rack holding your amp so it blocked the air from blowing on the amp itself, not much different from putting your hand in front of a vent on the dashboard to block airflow.

Id be weary of how effective putting a 10" sub in the factory box is. 10" subs generally need about .6-.8 cu ft of enclosure space to work well unless specifically designed and stated by the manufacturer to go any smaller. That factory enclosure is about .3-.35 on a good day Id bet. An aftermarket 8" with a good power rating with an amp that matches the RMS rating would be a good start. Ive got a new JL 8W3v3 that i tried in the factory box that sounded, well, OK. but not great by any stretch. The enclosure just isnt rigid enough for better aftermarket 8" subs that weight 8-10 lbs rated at around 250w RMS like the JL. I pretty much expected this though and Im building a custom enclosure now. I plan to post pics later.

MKX2007, be careful how much power you push to that 10" with that little airspace...your RMS power handling is MUCH lower (than alpine rates it) being in that much smaller enclosure than recommended. Your sub is basically starved for air to use as a spring.

• 2 weeks later...

Turn the bass to half and crank up the volume. You are overdriving the preamp stage with all that bass stoping the main amp from doing it's job. It should sound clear at full volume and then just back it off a tad for the cleanest sound. Try setting it to your ears by not looking at the bass level and you will be suprised at how well a factory radio can be tuned. Volume up and tone controlls down.