HID question

I'm considering an HID conversion kit for my Edge, and have just started the research. I'm not particularly concerned with the installation, but I see some kits use a relay to switch power wired directly to the battery, while some are powered by the factory headlight harness.

For those of you who have installed these, should I be concerned about the current spike on startup through the factory harness? I see some members have had flickering problems, but might be due to ballast quality. Can anyone recommend a particular kit?

Thanks!

All decent hid kits require a seperate power wire to run the balasts. Here's an elaborate thread on my Mustang's conversion that has dozens of people buying the same setup with no issues after I put it in(maybe hundreds by now). If you are using a mechanical bi-xennon kit (bulbs tilt up for brights) then you tap into the factory harness to tell the switch to move the bulbs up or down.

In the case of an Edge, they only need the single-element conversion as the hi-beams will stay haologen, making it even simpler. the sets sold through VVME.com are excellent for the money. Nobody has ever had a problem with them that I've heard of on themustangsource forums. Find out the bulb type, as they don't list it specifically for the Edge anywhere.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...;highlight=hids

Everything you ever wanted to know about HIDs being used in a halogen car is on that thread, dont waste your time with the 'HID elite' that do rediculous crap like spending thousands coverting custom reflectors on $1200 beater cars and HID lighting is their life. Some of them probably never leave the basement of the science building except to have HID partys in parking lots late at night..

-Power requirements are totally different for HID lighting, there is no such thing as just a bulb replacement.

-There is no need for a relay to be added(the 'relay' switch included with bi-xennon kits is something different)

EDIT: Edge uses the elusive H11 bulb for low beams and fog lights, they do offer HID conversions. Silvania for some reason refuses to make Silverstars in only this bulb type.

-They do not work with factory daytime running lights if the DRL's use the low beams.

-If it does not have a balast setup, it is not a HID light system.

I am still getting used to being back to halogens again, but it may be very annoying to other drivers converting an EDGE as the Mustang was very low to the ground. But Acura factory units seemed to have more glare then my 'improper' setup in the Mustang. Not to start another hid thread as they grow like weeds, but only get 4600K(white) or 6000k(slight blue) 8000K or higher is glare city with poor light output. I may still go to another 6000k setup anyway as the ones in the Mustang were simply incredible.

Edited by kevinb120