2007 less than 80K

bjohnson52375

My girlfriends 2007 ford edge w/ 78000 miles was brought into a ford dealer today after the car started to stutter and lose power. Over the speed of 45 the car was not drive-able. Dealership said the coils overheated, melted the cylinders...etc. Said they would need to replace them and cars computer to the tune of 2500. Dealership said if it was a computer problem it would be covered under the warranty but if a coil issue it would not be covered. I saw some posts of other edge owners that seem to have this same issue. Any help, suggestions or documentation we can give the dealership would be appreciated

A somewhat "common" or known problem on those early models. Here is a topic which has the TSB listed saying what is (was) covered and under what circumstances. You would have to check with a Ford dealership to see if there is any warranty remaining for this condition for your particular vehicle. Glad to hear the dealership has acknowledged that if a computer problem (BCM) it would be covered. I believe the BCM is covered under the 8/80000 emissions warranty.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7670-bad-pcms-tsb/?hl=%2Bcoils+%2Bmelted

Search "coils melted" to see other posts about the problem.

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1