Snow Tires

gluman

I have OEM 17's and just went in today to get snow tires put on the factory rims. Had Blizzaks put on and have not had a chance to get a feel for them versus the all seasons. We are going for a highway trip tomorrow and I will post any observations/opinions based on this trip.

My initial impression is the Blizzaks seem to have a slightly darty/roll over feel when turning on dry roads. Seems like the tire "rolls over an edge" at a certain point in the turn. Didn't notice it on the all seasons and will definitely be paying more attention for it now.

The main reason I put the snows on it was I went around a corner with about an inch of snow/slush on the road and the all seasons lost traction and the car just plowed straight ahead instead of turning. Absolutely the worst performing tires in snow I have ever driven on.

My major concern about snow tires is that 90% of the driving will be on nicely plowed/bare roads so wear will be a big factor. Based on the all seasons performance the $500.00 for the snows will be quickly offset by avoiding all the body work needed from sliding in to cars/curbs/poles etc... after every snowfall.

I have OEM 17's and just went in today to get snow tires put on the factory rims. Had Blizzaks put on and have not had a chance to get a feel for them versus the all seasons. We are going for a highway trip tomorrow and I will post any observations/opinions based on this trip.

My initial impression is the Blizzaks seem to have a slightly darty/roll over feel when turning on dry roads. Seems like the tire "rolls over an edge" at a certain point in the turn. Didn't notice it on the all seasons and will definitely be paying more attention for it now.

The main reason I put the snows on it was I went around a corner with about an inch of snow/slush on the road and the all seasons lost traction and the car just plowed straight ahead instead of turning. Absolutely the worst performing tires in snow I have ever driven on.

My major concern about snow tires is that 90% of the driving will be on nicely plowed/bare roads so wear will be a big factor. Based on the all seasons performance the $500.00 for the snows will be quickly offset by avoiding all the body work needed from sliding in to cars/curbs/poles etc... after every snowfall.

Let me know how they work out. I started putting snows on after my old sport trac almost did a 180 on the long island expressway after hitting a patch of black ice and then smacked into the edge of a guard rail. I hear you on the cost, that one for a rear fender and quarter panel repair cost me $3,800, but my wife and I were OK and we didn't hit anybody else amazingly.

I ordered the Nokian Hakka SUVs from tirefactory.com, great guy Josh. After pricing up and placing the order they called back and apologized that they didn't have 4 of the SUV's in stock so they offered me the Hakka SUV 5

's a more expensive tire by $30 each at the same price. You don't see that much today. They also have free shipping in the US.

Gluman.

Glad factory tire went the extra yard to satisfy you and all I have read about the Hakka's are that they are among the best winter tires out there.

Put about 600 miles on the Blizzaks yesterday and my observations are:

- seem quieter than the stock all seasons on clear/dry roads! likely not the case but the trip was very quiet!

- most of the trip was on clear dry highway. Handling was fine but there definitely seems to be a "roll over" point when you

turn the car and it feels like the tire rolled over the edge of the tread.

- didn't find that much snow on the side streets but when I did the handling was far , far better. No plowing when turning. No sliding

to a stop and no wheel spin when pulling away. Snow tires are definitely worth every penny.

did you just buy the tires and will have them put on the stock rims locally or did you pop for a tire/rim package ? Since its a company care we only do the tires and pay to have them put on the stock rims every winter/spring

The same thing happened to me on the 18's and Conti tires. I was quite surprised and it made me alot more cautious driving in slippery conditions. I was going quite slow at the time too.

I've given some thought about snow tires, but we really only get about a half dozen days of snow a year around here, so I'll probably just be more careful in those conditions.

Edited by dave-m

Dave M - you dont say where you are but given the snow days you note I would likely do the same thing. Our company is extremely big on safety and had no qualms about paying for snow tires. The internal headaches from even a minor fender bender outweigh the cost of the tires alone !

That said I am still surprised at just how poor the OEM all seasons are. Our Honda van with Michelin all season and 65,000 km on them out performed the Edge all seasons with only 1000 km on them.

Based on some of the other posts maybe AWD makes a big difference also but bottom line is everything is based on the quality of the rubber meeting the road.

Dave M - you dont say where you are but given the snow days you note I would likely do the same thing. Our company is extremely big on safety and had no qualms about paying for snow tires. The internal headaches from even a minor fender bender outweigh the cost of the tires alone !

That said I am still surprised at just how poor the OEM all seasons are. Our Honda van with Michelin all season and 65,000 km on them out performed the Edge all seasons with only 1000 km on them.

Based on some of the other posts maybe AWD makes a big difference also but bottom line is everything is based on the quality of the rubber meeting the road.

I got a package with some painted silver American Racing Rims included that look similar to stock. Not into too many changes here, I like to keep my car unnoticeable in the parking lots. Mounted balanced and shipped, when they get here I just put them on and roll the others into the garage. I can live with the tpms light on for 2-3 months every year.

I'm in Vancouver BC, Canada.

Oh and I should have mentioned...mine is AWD. You're right, the rubber makes the difference.

Edited by dave-m

Put on a set of P245/65x17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I also have a set on the wife's 4x4 Escape. Ran these through 15 inch snowfalls last winter on the Escape, and two 8 inch snowfalls this winter on my AWD Edge. No slip, just grip. Flat out the best snow tires I have ever had. Worth every dime paid for both sets. The tires have a very strong self-centering feel in the steering on both vehicles, and feel very heavy, but are not. Mileage has not suffered and road noise is minimal. I purchased a second set of wheels on ebay, and will put Firestone Destination LE's on in the spring, as I have on the Escape. Quality winter tires are one of the best investments you can make, considering the pitiful quality of the OEM's, spend the money.

Edited by EDGEx2

I have a FWD so winter tires was a must.

My dealer got me Michelin Latitude Alpin HP (C$250 each) and I had no problem with all the snow we got here in Ontario. I really feel the difference.

Also my ABS and Traction control are both "off" because of a sensor problem and I'm very happy to have these tires.