Terrible smell

EdgeOwner

The message below is the reproduction of the original reply posted in the topic "Burning smell" by EdgeOwner.

Because the 2 topics are not related and this problem is specific, I decided to create a new topic. You can consult the original replies chain in the topic "Burning smell".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"

Another type of bad smell for the Edge

Well, I found this site by googling "Ford Edge bad smell"...

My 2007 SEL AWD smells terrible since beginning of November. It all started with a visit to the dealer where they: 1) installed winter tires; 2) changed oil and; 3) performed the 20,000km service and inspection routine. Since then, the dealer unsuccessfully tried to find the problem (3 times at the dealer for 2-5 days). Ford engineers have been involved since December.

I have the car since April 07 and it never happened before (no trouble for about 20,000 km).

The symptoms look the same as those described in the topic: On stops, but after driving for a few miles, a smell enters into the cabin (not perceptible from the outside however) except that it doesn't smell the burning. I cannot precisely describe the smell: It's a blend of propane, sulphur and ... garbage. It's stinks - really. No smoke, just a smell. A terrible smell. Even if I open the window, the smell will stay persistent until I start moving around.

I don't think it comes from the synthetic fluid dripping on the exhaust. I contacted the dealer to give him the infos found here and he said they already checked and there was no leak on the PTU. It is something else. As far as I can say, there is another customer (MKX) with the same exact problem at the same dealer. Maybe more out there to show up? - let's see.

For now, I am hounding the dealer to make sure he follows with Ford engineers. Who know if these emissions are not toxic or damageable for the health. They don't even know where it comes from (for now).

I will keep you informed.

"