Instrument Cluster acting erratically

Ian MacMillan

Hi fordedgeforum!

I've been lurking here for awhile, but decided to register to see if I could get some help with my Edge.

I've got a 2007 Ford Edge SEL+, 3.5L AWD with 188,000 km. I recently noticed the cluster has been acting really weird. I'm pretty mechanically inclined - I have a Civic I've done lots of stuff to, and a boat that I maintain myself - so I have some theories, but I wanted another opinion.

My Edge has the characteristics of having a bad ground connection somewhere. Occasionally when I try to start it, the security light will flash and prevent the starter from turning (using both keys returns the same result). I've discovered that if it does this, I can turn the lights on, then off, and the Edge will start. Additionally, sometimes when I'm driving, the gauges will freeze. I can stop at a light and the speedometer and tach will read 50km/h and 1500rpm (or whatever the operating rpm for 50km is). It will unfreeze - usually when I make a turn or hit a bump - but there is no consistency in what makes it stop. It will also display "Check brake system" momentarily, or "ODO Data Error" momentarily. It's not showing any Check Engine Lights or Maintenance lights.

I've searched thoroughly and others have had similar issues - usually with a shorted wire, or bare wire coming in contact with the chassis under the carpet, but nobody every follows up to explain where the bad wire was, or what it was conntected to.

I know someone is going to tell me it's the PCM, but I don't think that's the case because other than the instrument cluster and the security light, my Edge works perfectly. I still average 12.0 - 14.0 L/100km in the city, and it doesn't shut off or run poorly in any way.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!