Max cargo width?

I actually took a tape measure to the dealer hoping for the magical 48" width :)

You'd think they could squeeze another inch or two in there, having a 4' cargo width has to be a relatively common wish list request. I guess then the response is to go buy a truck...

-SJ

Yes, not sure what the OP has against trucks, everything you touch on any shelf in any store got there by truck. And Ford builds an F-150 every 43 seconds of every day 24/7/365.

If the OP doesn't want a truck, he'll have to buy a trailer!

Just make sure the truck or trailer has at least an eight foot long bed.

Hey, not everyone has the money or space to buy both an Edge and a F150 :) And for everyday the Edge is more compact and has more passenger room. Trucks can tow campers and other heavy loads. It all depends on your needs! I'd love to have both a truck and SUV. Heck, I'd love to have a Ford GT, Ford Raptor, AND Edge... If only I had unlimited cash and a very large garage!

• Like 2

My 1973 Ford Pinto wagon was 48" wide at the tailgate and a sheet of plywood would just fit - with the tailgate open if it was a full sheet. I suspect today's rollover standards have necessitated making body openings smaller. But I agree - would be so much more handy if today's midsize SUVs would take 4 foot wide cargo.

Hey, not everyone has the money or space to buy both an Edge and a F150 :) And for everyday the Edge is more compact and has more passenger room. Trucks can tow campers and other heavy loads. It all depends on your needs! I'd love to have both a truck and SUV. Heck, I'd love to have a Ford GT, Ford Raptor, AND Edge... If only I had unlimited cash and a very large garage!

I think it's more a situation of an Edge OR an F-150. Not BOTH. There's always 4-door six passenger pickups too if you need the carry four or more passengers.

Or you can do like the clowns on The Diesel Stop and buy a one ton dually POWERSTROKE to run a garbage bag of tree trimmings to the dump and pull your jet ski.