Soon To Be Edge Newb

duckdog

Hi.

I really hate these introduction threads, but my wife and I have researched new vehicles for two years and have settled on buying the Edge next summer.

This is a real departure for me since I am a total Honda/Acura snob! I'm even a mod on an Acura Forum elsewhere on the net!! :doh:

However, we are really looking forward to being owners of this one!

Welcome to the forum.

What did you buy (model/colour) and how was the purchasing experience versus your Hondas/Acuras?

We haven't, yet.

Looking for the AWD model, and in either the creme broullet or the sage. The Honda experience, however, has degraded over the last ten years sad to say. One of the worst things that happened was the debacle with the 5 speed auto, especially against the V6 power in the Acura TL.

Overall, though, I am really hoping that the overall build quality of the Edge is on par with Honda.

I hear what you are saying regarding Honda.

My overall impression when sitting in our Honda (2004) and the Edge is they seem to be about the same. Mechanically its to soon to compare them.

The panel alignments seem a little looser on the Edge but still good.

The sales experience at Honda has definitely gone down hill from my personal perspective. Staff, pricing options, add on pressure etc. are all now similar to any other dealer. They are owned by locals, staffed by locals and now seem to have the "local" attitude and standards (or lack there of).

What I have seen and experienced test driving the Edge shows pretty fair quality. No rattles, solid footing on the ground, fantastic acceleration, butter soft seats, etc.

I agree with the panel fit, but what are you going to do? I am sold. The dealer we have chosen seems more interested in the sale than managing the customer. Small town and all.

Duckdog, you don't say where you are but if you are in the snow belt I would look at getting snow tires. See if they can be worked in to the deal at a reduced cost as extras.

The handling in snow with the fwd model and all seasons is horrible. I put a set of Blizzaks on an the difference was night and day.

I have had my Edge 2 months now and put about 7000 km on it and have absolutely no complaints other than it seems to be a bit of a fuel pig. If I drive over the posted 100 kph limit the gas mileage drops significantly.

The car is a company one but based on my experiences to date, I would buy one with no reservations with my own money.

There is no question of getting an AWD model. We live in Wyoming, and our winter driving will take us anywhere from Billings to Bismark, Salt Lake City or Denver and anywhere in between.

A word about dealerships, the locals aren't too bad, but we are going to go with an excellent dealer in North Dakota in my wife's home town. Her family has done business there for years and really work with the customer to get it right, so to speak.

Living on the Edge now, here is my buying experience in buying the Edge(great time to buy 4th of July-Aug. My wife own's a 98 Honda Accord EX. We use the Edge for traveling & so far a great ride in the Snow & Hwy driving +24 ... Loving it... Test Drive one & feel the power, comfort & sweet ride...

I posted this last summer, so if you wait to buy like 4th of July thru August, I'm sure you get a good deal..

August 22, 2007 went home with the EDGE.,.

07 SEl+AWD Total MSRP= 34,040 got $4600 off Cash price=$29,440 & ZERO Financing..

Silicon Valley, California.. Sweet Deal

Vista roof, 18" chrome, Seating Flex,tow pk (like I'm going to useit) Reverse sensing, leather seats,Audiohile CDx6 etc

Go Getum... great price but I been haggling since July 4th & since the same Carbon metallic Edge with Stone leather seats was stillon the lot , I had Ace in the hole, so deal the cards & it paid off, 2500 I saved in finance & 4600 for total of 7100 off. I bought my 95 explorer xlt 4wd for cash price of 28,300 & 8.75% 12 years ago.. do your homework & you do get wiser with age..

Today San JOse Mercury News had a Ad 6000 msrp off or 4500 & zero financing, since I brought in the ad of 4th July with me it was 4600 & they match it.. Rang the bell & said I was hard customer..

Oh dear god....:lol:

I would never, and I mean NEVER go to a dealer that "rings the bell" in any way, shape or form. :wacko: Those places drive me nuts and I can't handle them at all. I always walk out and leave before any kind of deal is made since my patience wears thin. In fact, I've been asked to leave a couple of times because I lost my temper over playing the sales game.

I go to fleet dealers, sit down with the owner, work out the bottom line and no bs. That or work through brokers.