HIDs flickering then going out :(

Hello, I installed a plug n play hid system (McCullogh) in my Edge yesterday (please no lectures on pnp hid kits) and I can't seem to get it to work. When i turn on the car, they come on for a few seconds, flicker then go out. I've deactivated the DRL and still no luck. It's not blowing fuses so I don't think a relay would be needed (plus, these kits don't seem to require relays). If you think a relay is needed, can these be bought anywhere locally instead of having to order one online. I would image Best Buy's car audio section might carry that sort of thing?

Can anybody with HIDs in their Edges please help me out.

Thank you very much!

having not installed a set yet, and not knowing your set - but having heard of it - I have done a decent amount of research and I would speculate (1) bad ballast or (2) you did not make good clean connections. I would check connections first - pull them all and replug in. If it is in fact a true plug-n-play you will get your ground and your power and not need a relay. I have read a few people here and there mention relays.. not sure why in those kits they needed one - as most modern current kits are straight plug-n-play.

best I can offer but cbrenn71 here is selling kits and may have more actual experience.

OK..you need a REALY..maybe 2..I did PNP HID's and they did the same thing..put a realy in on each side and BINGO..no more problems..its not your ballast or bulbs..its the voltage..

And I know some will say..'oh well I put a PNP HID kit in my EDGE and it works fine' thats maybe very truc..I have no clue as to why..but mine took relays..and others do too. Its stupid..but thats how I fixed mine.

interesting.... I have read of many, many, many that did not take a relay and would also assume that the seller would know this and advise in advance. but, it sounds like you have some specific knowledge for the Edge.

Is it possible those needing relays opted for 55w systems versus a plenty perfect 35w for the Edge and that is the issue on why some are reporting needing a relay?

anyway... this kind of brings up a point I was going to do when I install mine - it seems smartest thing to do is to wire it all up and test the install prior to mounting ballasts and placing bulbs in their homes/reflectors. This way, if you hook it all up and set it on the engine and test it and find an issue, you will not have to pull wires (cut zip ties, etc), unmount ballasts you just mounted and disconnect fragile bulbs from their holders and known fragile reflectors. This would also allow for quickly going back to the factory setup if you did find an issue with the kit you could not solve.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Thanks for the info...i'm going to get some relays. I don't think it's a ballast problem because how could all 4 ballasts be faulty (I did my fogs too). Does anyone know where I could get relays other than ordering via the net? I called Parts Source and Best Buy and neither of them had any idea of what I was talking about.

And, yes Lex. That is a great idea. I was stranded without headlights last night...not good. Had to leave the Edge behind :(

The problem is that the Edge's low-beam headlamp outputs are specifically designed for resistive loads (like halogen bulbs) and not inductive loads (like ballasts and relays). The low-beam outputs are actually computer-controlled PULSED outputs, not continuous +12V, and they're controlled by solid-state devices called high-side FETs, not relays or switches. Ford did this to optimize bulb life and to make DRLs easier and more efficient to implement.

If you hook up relays to the Edge's low-beam outputs, you'd better protect them with shunt diodes, or the inductive load from a relay coil could destroy the FETs. Since the FETs are permanently mounted in the Smart Junction Box (which controls almost all of the Edge's electrical system), destroying those FETs means that your entire Smart Junction Box would need to be replaced. That's $$$, and I doubt Ford would do it under warranty if they knew it was because of an HID installation attempt.

Even with shunt-protected relays, the pulsed outputs may result in relay chatter. I was going to try to find the part numbers for the MKZ's HID relays, which seem to include both shunt diodes and load resistors (to prevent burned-out headlamp warnings), since I was going to try an HID installation myself, but I'm having second thoughts now that I know how the low-beam outputs are controlled.

Just an FYI. I just thought I'd warn you that the low-beam outputs are actually very sophisticated, not just switched-on 12V sources, and they aren't something to take lightly.

Edited by jpark

Radio shack, pep boys, auto zone, napa all have relays... they can be tricky to install if you are wiring handicap as I have installed many on my truck for after-market fog lights, fans, etc.. but they should have a relay... not a tricky item to get.

well.. in reading jparks comments - which I have seen him talk about in another longer HID thread - maybe the 'correct' type of relay is harder to acquire than I claimed.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I attempted installing a PNP Hid setup. Did both Fogs and primary lights. Did relays for both. Had nothing but problems. I went as far as installing diodes and 4700uf caps inline , still had flickering. IMHO it not worth the headache. Reinstalled the stock bulbs. :-(

Love the look, not working on my Edge. BTW I have 07 SEL + w/ autolamps.

We own a car installation shop. First McCullogh are garbage. The are not very good and fail easy. I have MTEC on my Ford Edge D2 kit and they work flawless. they are true PNP. They are made in Japan and are very very high quality. Connections are water tight, and the ballast do not produce much heat. We have installed tons of them. THEY ARE FULL DIGITAL BALLAST. This is what is needed to work with the Edge

I can do a picture this weekend and post our installation. And no wire relay harnessw was needed. if you get a good kit, it will work with the factory output level. We use to sell McCullogh, but the failure rate was too high to sell them any more.

My edge has had my HID on for a month now, 3K mile vacation to Florida and back, in the rain and 8 hours of night driving too.

DSCN3785.jpg

Edited by Tiffany

Hello, I installed a plug n play hid system (McCullogh) in my Edge yesterday (please no lectures on pnp hid kits) and I can't seem to get it to work. When i turn on the car, they come on for a few seconds, flicker then go out. I've deactivated the DRL and still no luck. It's not blowing fuses so I don't think a relay would be needed (plus, these kits don't seem to require relays). If you think a relay is needed, can these be bought anywhere locally instead of having to order one online. I would image Best Buy's car audio section might carry that sort of thing?

Can anybody with HIDs in their Edges please help me out.

Thank you very much!

it is the McCullogh kit that is doing this. it is old technology.

Hi Tiffany, thank you for the information. That's too bad because I spent alot of $$ on a McCullough kit as I heard they were very good. Might have to look into this a little more. By the way, are your HIDs 6,000K?

I know, we just change a honda element from McCullough to MTEC because of the connections corroding.

yes, 6K very good. they are perfect color too. no yellow and very just enought blue to look good. Remember, to much blue is bad at night.

Edited by Tiffany

One more thing, can you tell me where to get an MTEC kit if i was willing to give it a shot?

Thanks again.

I will ask the other half. and if you are around the Toledo area, we can do it for. Mine is installed to look like factory, if you open my hood, you would think it is factory. I will post some pictures this weekend.

Edited by Tiffany

Hi Tiffany, thank you for the information. That's too bad because I spent alot of $$ on a McCullough kit as I heard they were very good. Might have to look into this a little more. By the way, are your HIDs 6,000K?

Can you get your money back. There are only a few kits that will work on the Edge or Ford products period. We have done alot of trial and testing.

Thanks. I'm actually in Canada but if you are willing to ship me a kit, let me know. I'm just about to give up on this whole hid thing but might give it one more shot if you are sure this will work.

Thanks!

Don't give up. We are working on instructions and the kit for the Ford Edge too. It would be done with 30 days. You just have to have the right ballast for this to work.

OH, the kit we use the ballast is tiny too, 1/2 the size of the McC kit. Watch for our picture soon.

Tiffany

Thanks. I'm actually in Canada but if you are willing to ship me a kit, let me know. I'm just about to give up on this whole hid thing but might give it one more shot if you are sure this will work.

Thanks!

Where in canada, come to Toledo and we can do it

PS. You can not use the DRL with ANY HID kit. You must turn it off. I turn my HID on all the time anyway.

it you ran your DRL, which run the low beams at reduced power, you may have damaged the ballast anyway. make sure they are off in the BCM module. You have to have them programmed off. Reduced power will cause flicker too.

Edited by Tiffany

I'm in Kingston, Ontario. About 2.5 hours East of Toronto.

Don't know if I can return my McCullogh kit but I will definitely try. If not, I'll put it on ebay, I'm sure it works fine in some vehicles.

Please let me know if you can set me up with a good deal on an MTEC kit.

Thanks again.

I'm in Kingston, Ontario. About 2.5 hours East of Toronto.

Don't know if I can return my McCullogh kit but I will definitely try. If not, I'll put it on ebay, I'm sure it works fine in some vehicles.

Please let me know if you can set me up with a good deal on an MTEC kit.

Thanks again.

Sure, we have them on order. It is an H11 kit. we use alot of H11's in cars today, esp on fog lights.

We own a car installation shop. First McCullogh are garbage. The are not very good and fail easy. I have MTEC on my Ford Edge D2 kit and they work flawless. they are true PNP. They are made in Japan and are very very high quality. Connections are water tight, and the ballast do not produce much heat. We have installed tons of them. THEY ARE FULL DIGITAL BALLAST. This is what is needed to work with the Edge

I can do a picture this weekend and post our installation. And no wire relay harnessw was needed. if you get a good kit, it will work with the factory output level. We use to sell McCullogh, but the failure rate was too high to sell them any more.

My edge has had my HID on for a month now, 3K mile vacation to Florida and back, in the rain and 8 hours of night driving too.

GREAT information about the digital ballast, DRL mention, 6000k bulb mention and great photo.. all from someone with actual hans on working experience.