I got to drive my wife's Edge AWD today...in the rain!

freekyFX4

Having a 16 year old and a 15 year old who go to a magnet school, my wife has to drive them to school every day. My 16 year old daughter is not quite ready to drive to school on her own, so my wife rides with them in the Explorer, then takes the Explorer to work. At 3:00, she leaves work and picks them up at school, and my daughter drives her back to work then drives home. Consequently, my wife has only driven her new Edge AWD a few times.

It is raining today and my truck was washed and waxed on Sunday, so she called me and told me to take the Edge to work today. Woohoo! That thing is a freaking blast to drive in the rain. Taking off at full throttle up a hill while turning and there was no wheel spin whatsoever. The glass BAMR really muffles the sound of raindrops. I thought this was a soccer mom car, but I may be wrong. What a fun drive, and all the while, my 2008 F250 is safe and dry in my garage. The only things that it needs are about 100 more horsepower, to be lowered about two inches, and better tires...then I could race it in SCCA races!

Edited by freekyFX4

I really understand the value of AWD now...I understand all the fuss with the WRX and EVO. It makes a huges difference, and we are still getting 16.2 MPG around town. I am sure that number will get better as the engine loosens up and we move into Summer with better gas formulations. We just turned over 600 miles and we are almost at the end of our second tank of gas. This car is a hoot to drive!

• 1 year later...
Having a 16 year old and a 15 year old who go to a magnet school, my wife has to drive them to school every day. My 16 year old daughter is not quite ready to drive to school on her own, so my wife rides with them in the Explorer, then takes the Explorer to work. At 3:00, she leaves work and picks them up at school, and my daughter drives her back to work then drives home. Consequently, my wife has only driven her new Edge AWD a few times.

It is raining today and my truck was washed and waxed on Sunday, so she called me and told me to take the Edge to work today. Woohoo! That thing is a freaking blast to drive in the rain. Taking off at full throttle up a hill while turning and there was no wheel spin whatsoever. The glass BAMR really muffles the sound of raindrops. I thought this was a soccer mom car, but I may be wrong. What a fun drive, and all the while, my 2008 F250 is safe and dry in my garage. The only things that it needs are about 100 more horsepower, to be lowered about two inches, and better tires...then I could race it in SCCA races!

"...about 100 more horsepower.."

In that case the engine/transaxle ECU control firmware would be tuned to automatically detuned/derated during low speed WOT acceleration, ceratinly so entering a tight turn under hard acceleration.

It was once thought that the limit for FWD would be ~200HP. Then it was discovered/decided that if the engine were automatically detuned/derated as above the public could be sold, safely sold, HIGH HP/Torque engined cars. Cars such as the FWD Cadillac with NorthStar engines. Nowadays they just automatically move some of the engine torque to the rear wheels during low speed acceleration to help alleviate the hazards of FWD and F/awd vehicles. Add more HP and fall back to solution number ONE.