Door Speaker Size and Replacements

Thought I would share some of my learnings from replacing the factory Sony speakers in my 2015 Edge Sport. This post is not intended as a how to, rather it is meant to relate stock sizes. I did hours of research and pulled the door panels several times in order to determine speaker sizes. Hopefully a google search for Ford Edge Sony Speaker Size will connect here and save some of you guys all of the trouble.

The door speakers are 6.5" mids with 1" tweeters. The front doors are wired individually, or active, and may be crossed over at the DSP/amp. Although, you can see some sort of built in capacitors in the pictures below. The rear doors are wired to the mid which then extends to the tweeter.

Stock Mid Rear

post-40440-0-45418400-1460230871_thumb.jpg

Stock Mid Front

post-40440-0-06449700-1460230896_thumb.jpg

Stock Tweeter

post-40440-0-32710000-1460230920_thumb.jpg

Caliper (good investment)

post-40440-0-49386400-1460230964_thumb.jpg

Stock Opening Size

post-40440-0-90532700-1460230969_thumb.jpg

Stock Tweeter Size

post-40440-0-36643100-1460231007_thumb.jpg

New Focal Tweeter (AS165)

post-40440-0-03442300-1460230993_thumb.jpg

New Focal Mid w/ Scosche Intall Ring

post-40440-0-34456000-1460231009_thumb.jpg

I was psyched to get speaker install rings, my wife was psyched I was finally using New Parent Power. I mounted the mid in the ring and soldered wires to the terminals. Took out the car to mount them in and discovered the speaker rings are the wrong size. These came free with the speakers from Crutchfield. For anyone who has looked on Crutchfield, you have probably seen that they have not investigated the 15 and newer Edge. This trim ring may fit a 13 Fusion, but does not fit our Edges.

I destroyed the factory mids to create my mounting rings per this video:

He suggests using dykes, I used a Dremel. This worked very well. Pull the stock speakers out, trim up the housing, and drop in your selected mids. Flip it over, solder it together, and there you have it. Factory harness plugs right back in.

IMHO any 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" should fit fine, however you need to be careful with the tweeters. Anything larger than 41.5 mm or 1.67" will not fit in the stock location without modification. I purchased two sets of Focals after discovering the first set came with tweeters mounted into a housing that would not fit.

Edited by bill valley
  • Like 1

One other point of consideration is installing aftermarket speakers will affect the car's Roll Stability control.

WARNING:Vehicle modifications involving braking system, aftermarket roof racks, suspension, steering system, tire construction and/or wheel/tire size may change the handling characteristics of the vehicle and may adversely affect the performance of the AdvanceTracwith RSCsystem.

In addition, installing any stereo loudspeakers may interfere with and adversely affect the AdvanceTracwith RSCsystem. Install any aftermarket stereo loudspeaker as far as possible from the front center console, the tunnel, and the front seats in order to minimize the risk of interfering with the AdvanceTracwith RSCsensors. Reducing the effectiveness of the AdvanceTracwith RSCsystem could lead to an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...