New member...need repair advice!

Al3

I have a 2011 Ford Edge SEL 2WD with 140K miles that has recently making a clunking noise on the front passenger side. Upon some inspection it seems to be coming from the lower ball joint. My question is do I need to have the whole control arm replaced or is replacing just the ball joint an option?

macbwt will know for sure, but I believe the ball joint and the rearward bushing can be replaced as separate parts. The FSM does not list the procedure specifically ... However, I would just buy a Moog control arm assembly and be done with it (check RockAuto.com for pricing). Chances are the rearward bushing is shot too. Doing both control arms together or one shortly after the other will make the ride better as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick Response WWWPerfA_ZN0W! Is it even worth trying to check the rearward bushing to see if it's faulty or replace control arm no matter what? Ball joint replacement seems like an easier fix. I'm trying to decide whether I should tackle this repair myself or not. $$$ is a factor. Even the control arm replacement seems Easy enough if everything goes as planned but maybe out of my league if something goes wrong

Don't know if removing the ball joint or the bushing is DIY for the average guy. For the bushing I am pretty sure you need a hydraulic press. No idea on the ball joint.

You can look at macbwt's video on how the bushing moves around on his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJb7karK2nhyA7G1BW6xESg/videos

I know the temptation is there to do things piecemeal, but these are important parts for safety. Even if you can just replace the one control arm, you have taken care of that side.

Should be DIY, but having a lift is recommended, as well as a BFH as they say. Parts & connectors rust over time.