Which Motor Oil Is Better?

yevhen

I have an 08 Edge. I changed the oil at 3,000 miles using Motorcraft 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter. Changes from now on will probably be at 5,000 mile intervals. FWIW I put 300,000 miles on a Volvo 240. I changed every 3-5,000 miles and used Castrol GTX 10w30 and Wix oil filters. I never used any additional additives in the oil. The engine used no oil between changes and ran great until the day I retired it.

• 4 weeks later...
:rockon: After reading all of these replys, it stikes me as funny that so many people are caught up in the oil hoohaa.. Read the last reply from Williston and that should tell it all. 300,000 on his Volvo using 10w30. according to most his engine should have gave up the ghost 200,000 miles ago. I use 5w 40 rotella syn and have for some time now. No ill effects no warrenty problems, no engine related failures ,just happy motoring.

• 15 years later...
On 2/25/2008 at 2:27 PM, Grey said:

Several companies refine and produce oil for Motorcraft. The specification that the oil must meet is the key - not the supplier. You can use a full synthetic as long as it meets the Ford specs.

Motorcraft oils are formulated to meet the specification every batch - every test. Some oil suppliers will continue to test a marginal formulation untill they get a (lucky) pass - even though 9 prior attempts with the same formulation failed. All they need is one documented pass to say they met the spec.

As long as you are going to the expense of using a full synthetic, why not use 0w20. That will avoid even more wear at start-up.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need up to a 30 weight oil unless you are constantly towing or racing your vehicle (and operating temps will be up to 300+ degrees). You will not protect the engine with a heavy weight oil, just cause more wear at start-up.