Ford passes the buck on phone pairing

After numerous "tier climbing" through two Frod customer service operators, I was told that SYNC will not pair with my Samsung SCH-i760 due to a known issue with the phone's bluetooth firmware. I was told to contact my carrier and the phone manufacturer to find out if either would be issuing a firmware update to resolve the miscommunication with SYNC.

It's unfortunate that such a high profile feature of their new vehicles depends on the final customer for R&D. With the vast amount of phones available from numerious carries compared to the few devices listed on Syncmyride.com, I believe the almighty SYNC was a rushed to market.

Suggestions?

After numerous "tier climbing" through two Frod customer service operators, I was told that SYNC will not pair with my Samsung SCH-i760 due to a known issue with the phone's bluetooth firmware. I was told to contact my carrier and the phone manufacturer to find out if either would be issuing a firmware update to resolve the miscommunication with SYNC.

It's unfortunate that such a high profile feature of their new vehicles depends on the final customer for R&D. With the vast amount of phones available from numerious carries compared to the few devices listed on Syncmyride.com, I believe the almighty SYNC was a rushed to market.

Suggestions?

There's the rub - VAST amount of phones available from different carriers - and if you include all of the older phones still in use the combination of phones, carriers and firmware levels is staggering - in the thousands I'm sure.

Show me another bluetooth device that actually tests and lists phone compatibility by mfr, model and carrier. They don't, because it's insane to try and do it and to keep up with it over time. All you have to do to test it is go by a Ford dealer with your cell phone and try it. That's better than a chart anyday.

As for suggestions - contact Samsung and your phone carrier just like they told you to do. This isn't R&D - it's a matter of phone carriers and manufacturers not supporting new features.

There's the rub - VAST amount of phones available from different carriers - and if you include all of the older phones still in use the combination of phones, carriers and firmware levels is staggering - in the thousands I'm sure.

Show me another bluetooth device that actually tests and lists phone compatibility by mfr, model and carrier. They don't, because it's insane to try and do it and to keep up with it over time. All you have to do to test it is go by a Ford dealer with your cell phone and try it. That's better than a chart anyday.

As for suggestions - contact Samsung and your phone carrier just like they told you to do. This isn't R&D - it's a matter of phone carriers and manufacturers not supporting new features.

Agreed - while it stinks for that the Samsung does not work - there are many many others that does not work either.

Also note that M$/Ford tested with Digital Audio Players to - that is a lot of work for USB and BT testing and fixing.

Also note, that to use the minimal level of desired functionality, the BT must work at certain level to get the features to work. If this phone does not have that level, it can work (a firmware update can fix that).

There is SUCH a vast amount of phones with all different BT versions/firmware and "codecs" that it would be nearly impossible code for all of them.

Good Luck and let us know what Samsung/Your Carries says.

Solas

Samsung SCH-i760 Ford SYNC Update:

I just got off the phone with Samsung Customer Support. According to the operator, Samsung does not have a firmware update for this phone and is aware that the SCH-i760 does not pair with a number of bluetooth devices. He said that I should contact the carrier for any firmware updates.

I suppose Verizon is next. I'll predict now that they will not have a solution either.

I just got off the phone with Samsung Customer Support. According to the operator, Samsung does not have a firmware update for this phone and is aware that the SCH-i760 does not pair with a number of bluetooth devices. He said that I should contact the carrier for any firmware updates.

I suppose Verizon is next. I'll predict now that they will not have a solution either.

That would be a surprise :hysterical:

Honestly, I have had "good" luck with Verizon - however I am under corporate umbrellas (25% discount on personal plans) so I might have more pull in the Customer Service Area.

Good luck and keep us updated. Soon enough you will upgrade you phone.

Solas

Sorry for the dup post...

I just got off the phone with Verizon. I will say that they were the most helpful.

Funny how the operator ended up contacting Samsung while I was on hold to find out what could be done. She stated that she was promoted to Samsung's third tier of tech support. Samsung told her that they are aware of the problem with the i760/Ford SYNC and are working on a "Bluetooth Profile Support" firmware update. Samsung's tech told her that any firmware updates usually are on a 90 day cycle and their last one was issued in Oct. of 07. If that's true, maybe something will be issued in the near future. I am a little more hopeful considering Verizon's ability to offer more information than Ford or Samsung.

At this point the grades are as follows: Ford - C (passed the buck immediately and only offered the fact that they have not yet tested the phone in question); Samsung - D (points deducted for telling me that no firmware updates are available for the i760); Verizon - B (points given for researching and giving some form of optimistic answer.)

Final recommendations from Verizon: keep checking back on the support page of thier site for firmware updates for the i760.

I can only guess that Ford and Samsung already have my money (bought the vehicle, bought the phone) and Verizon wants to keep me as a customer.

Sorry for the dup post...

I just got off the phone with Verizon. I will say that they were the most helpful.

Funny how the operator ended up contacting Samsung while I was on hold to find out what could be done. She stated that she was promoted to Samsung's third tier of tech support. Samsung told her that they are aware of the problem with the i760/Ford SYNC and are working on a "Bluetooth Profile Support" firmware update. Samsung's tech told her that any firmware updates usually are on a 90 day cycle and their last one was issued in Oct. of 07. If that's true, maybe something will be issued in the near future. I am a little more hopeful considering Verizon's ability to offer more information than Ford or Samsung.

At this point the grades are as follows: Ford - C (passed the buck immediately and only offered the fact that they have not yet tested the phone in question); Samsung - D (points deducted for telling me that no firmware updates are available for the i760); Verizon - B (points given for researching and giving some form of optimistic answer.)

Final recommendations from Verizon: keep checking back on the support page of thier site for firmware updates for the i760.

I can only guess that Ford and Samsung already have my money (bought the vehicle, bought the phone) and Verizon wants to keep me as a customer.

I think (my opinion) you are a wee bit harsh on Ford. While they did "pass the buck" this is because Samsung does not meet the "minimum specs". Think of it like a video game for the pc. If the game requires a DirectX 10 Video card with 256MB of RAM (ie Ford M$ Sync), and your pc has only a DirectX 9 with 128MB of RAM (Samsun Phone), you call the video game company (Ford) and complain because it doesnt work well - they will say to update your PC (Phone).

Since the phone does not meet the min specs (my guess since they need to develop a bt profile update), Ford can not be held responsible to offer a fix. Can they - most likely but that might be many $$$ in their arena.

Just my opinion on the situation.

Solas

True indeed on who should be responsible for meeting whom's protocol. Your point makes perfect sense. I still think that Ford owes the customer a little more of an explanation than "its the phone manufacturer/service provider's obligation". Verizon had me on hold for approximately three minutes while they researched the problem with Samsung's technical support. I would have hoped that Ford could have done the same considering the marketing and high profile they are putting out for their product enhancement. In this day of American manufacturers being clubbed by foreign auto makers, its a shame that Ford wasn't prepared to research my problem further. It may very well turn out to be the obligation of the phone manufacturer/service provider to get their product compatible with the specs of Ford/Microsoft, however, I feel Ford should have given me the courtesy that Verizon finally offered.

It may very well turn out to be the obligation of the phone manufacturer/service provider to get their product compatible with the specs of Ford/Microsoft, however, I feel Ford should have given me the courtesy that Verizon finally offered.

How in the world could you honestly expect Ford to keep up with all the different cell phone providers, phones, plans and firmware levels? And why should they contact YOUR cell phone mfr or service provider if their product is working as advertised?

I think Ford has gone above and beyond with the testing they've already done to date and published on the website. To suggest they should start contacting cell phone providers and mfrs is ridiculous.

Ford is fronting some sort of effort to keep up with all of the different phone providers & phones...as listed on syncmyride.com. They've provided what they have tested. A far cry from the illusion given at the dealer level. I don't think its too much to expect Ford's customer support to provide less than what Verizon offered me.

I certainly understand that you think Ford has gone above and beyond with their testing they've already done to date and published on their website. The '08 Edge is my third Ford product. I have had excelent customer service from Ford. I suppose my expectations are higher.

This is my second Ford product (third if you count Mazda as Ford).

I dont think Ford has the same relationship with Samsung as Verizon has. This would make it difficult for Ford to do what you want them to do. Samsung gets their phone revenue from Verizon (and other carriers) and not Ford - thus there is no need to make Ford happy and thus no relationship - for the most part.

I understand you have high expectations, I know where you are coming from and you were let down. Dont give up on them, Ford needs you. I also agree that the imports have a leg up on domestics (speaking from people in USA).

Further, it sounds like Samsung is releasing the update for Verizon (do other carriers have the phone?) - which is why you got no available updates from calling Samsung directly - this is ONLY a guess.

You are entitled to your opinion - just make sure it is the same as mine (just kidding :))

Post again when/if you get the update. Keep your fingers crossed.

Solas

Ford is fronting some sort of effort to keep up with all of the different phone providers & phones...as listed on syncmyride.com. They've provided what they have tested. A far cry from the illusion given at the dealer level. I don't think its too much to expect Ford's customer support to provide less than what Verizon offered me.

I certainly understand that you think Ford has gone above and beyond with their testing they've already done to date and published on their website. The '08 Edge is my third Ford product. I have had excelent customer service from Ford. I suppose my expectations are higher.

Your expectations are unrealistic. Ford supports Sync - cell phone mfrs and service providers support the cell phones.

If you bought Quicken for your Windows XP pc and it didn't work, would you expect Microsoft to call Intuit on your behalf? I certainly hope not.

As for dealer illusions - Ford has no control over what the dealers tell their customers. Unfortunately.

Thanks for the insight, Solas. Verizon does indeed have the subscription rights for the Samsung SCH-i760. I'm confident that they and Samsung will get things sorted out. I'm in no hurry as the Edge is my wife's vehicle and her two phones pair with SYNC seamlessly. I rarely drive it. It would be a more critical situation, however, if her phone was non compatible.

Akirby, I yeild to your greater knowledge and opinion on the subject.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys-- I was looking through the Verizon site and found this PDF where they claim the i760 will work with any Ford OEM Bluetooth.

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/bluetooth_car_k...amsung_i760.pdf

is this the version of your firmware? "I760.AAC13"

And I found this on the Ford SYNC site: I think there was a firmware update since the Ford site says "i760-07V-AH08" is the firmware that wont work.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqM....aspx?faqId=233

Hope this helps, let me know because my new in 2 is very near and I want the i760! :)

EDIT:Added Ford link to FAQ

Edited by cardshark369

One of the reasons I chose a 2007 SEL Plus AWD instead of the 2008 Limited AWD (besides more rebates on the 07 than the 08), was because I was not impressed with the Sync system when I had it in a rental Mercury. I tried to get it to sync with my phone (a Razer) and it refused to do so. When I tried to get back to the radio, the entire Sync system locked up. To get back to where I wanted to go, I had to shut the car off and restart it. Then I remembered that Sync was developed by Microsoft - If all else fails, reboot! Thank you Bill Gates. :hysterical: