New owner - U.S. lease question

globalmind

Hello,

I am new to this forum. (Is this primarily a Canada site??)

I am a U.S. customer. I thought I had a pretty good understanding regarding how leases work.

But I guess at the end of the day i don't know how to tell if I got a good deal or not....

I just leased a SEL AWD. Sticker at $31,600.

Zero down, 39 month lease $400.00 per month.

Any thoughts....good or bad please.

thanks

Hello,

I am new to this forum. (Is this primarily a Canada site??)

I am a U.S. customer. I thought I had a pretty good understanding regarding how leases work.

But I guess at the end of the day i don't know how to tell if I got a good deal or not....

I just leased a SEL AWD. Sticker at $31,600.

Zero down, 39 month lease $400.00 per month.

Any thoughts....good or bad please.

thanks

Hi globalmind. :D I replied in your other thread concerning this question, but figured I would copy and paste here in case you missed it.

Leasing deals are always a tough call. Leasing has its advantages, but usually those advantages are limited to those who can deduct the Leasing expenses as a business deduction. It can also be good for those who like the "stress free" aspect of just turning in their old vehicle every three years or so and Leasing a new one.

I personally do not care for Leasing, but only mention that quickly. Dealers always make more on a Lease when all factors are considered. When a Leased vehicle is turned in, they will inspect it and charge for every door ding, carpet stain, "unusual wear and tear", etc. Those costs will need to be figured into the final costs. You probably already knew that, but I mention it in case you are a first time Leaser.

All of that being said, essentially, you are paying $15,600 to use a vehicle for 39 months. You will get to use your Edge for 39 months for approximately half of it's MSRP value. If you think that is a good bargain, that is really all that matters.

I will now say that there are certainly those who will disagree with my opinion, (after all I understand that it is just my opinion). Hopefully, those who disagree will realize that I understand they are entitled to their opinions too, and the discussion can just be kept to their opinions, and not turn into a personal attack.

Oh, and concerning your question as to whether this is primarily a Canadian site. I would say no, it is not. I and many/most members are located in the U.S. There are certainly many fine members who are our Canadian cousins though.

I think you are happy with your Edge, and wish you many miles of happy and safe driving.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi globalmind. :D I replied in your other thread concerning this question, but figured I would copy and paste here in case you missed it.

Leasing deals are always a tough call. Leasing has its advantages, but usually those advantages are limited to those who can deduct the Leasing expenses as a business deduction. It can also be good for those who like the "stress free" aspect of just turning in their old vehicle every three years or so and Leasing a new one.

I personally do not care for Leasing, but only mention that quickly. Dealers always make more on a Lease when all factors are considered. When a Leased vehicle is turned in, they will inspect it and charge for every door ding, carpet stain, "unusual wear and tear", etc. Those costs will need to be figured into the final costs. You probably already knew that, but I mention it in case you are a first time Leaser.

All of that being said, essentially, you are paying $15,600 to use a vehicle for 39 months. You will get to use your Edge for 39 months for approximately half of it's MSRP value. If you think that is a good bargain, that is really all that matters.

I will now say that there are certainly those who will disagree with my opinion, (after all I understand that it is just my opinion). Hopefully, those who disagree will realize that I understand they are entitled to their opinions too, and the discussion can just be kept to their opinions, and not turn into a personal attack.

Oh, and concerning your question as to whether this is primarily a Canadian site. I would say no, it is not. I and many/most members are located in the U.S. There are certainly many fine members who are our Canadian cousins though.

I think you are happy with your Edge, and wish you many miles of happy and safe driving.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Thank you for the response. I have leased before. Overall leasing does suit my lifestyle. And I agree the dealer does make more money in the lease process. But more importantly than that is, what is MY cost of ownership for 3 years, 6 years, 10 years. I had a hard time with this lease. We have been Nissan customers for over 15 years. When we started the negotiation it revolved around MSRP and residual vales. By the end we were negotiating for monthly payments. (which I usually don't do) If you know the values and the money lines, the payment will fall in place. I guess I am just trying to help myself understand if I actually did o.k. on this one...

Thanks again for the reply.