20 Inch Chrome Wheels

glc1225

2008 Edge Limited at 2845 miles; 20" chrome wheels are showing brass finish through the chrome at the hub of ALL spokes on ALL wheels. Dealership reviewed. Waiting Ford rep. response. Anyone seeing the same? (Thanks in advance) Dealership detailer said that buffing would not resolve. NO solvents used to clean them so far. Their take on it is that the manufacturer is not applying enough chrome plate to cover this part of the spoke area and then properly buffing the finish. The face is excellent; spokes are the issue.

2008 Edge Limited at 2845 miles; 20" chrome wheels are showing brass finish through the chrome at the hub of ALL spokes on ALL wheels. Dealership reviewed. Waiting Ford rep. response. Anyone seeing the same? (Thanks in advance) Dealership detailer said that buffing would not resolve. NO solvents used to clean them so far. Their take on it is that the manufacturer is not applying enough chrome plate to cover this part of the spoke area and then properly buffing the finish. The face is excellent; spokes are the issue.

It's probably just a manufacutering defect, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it if they replace them.

I haven't noticed any problems with my 18's, but they're chrome clad.

Our Volvo has no issues to speak of.

• 1 month later...

:finger: :wacko:

I have noticed the same exact thing on my wheels,however I am not that concerned because I leased the car for 2 years,but I will bring to the dealers attention.

johnl327

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My problem has nothing to do with the brass coming through, but my Edge, 2008 with 20 tires has noise coming from the rims...sounds like baseball cards on a bicycle rim..click, click, click. My dealer said replacing the rims with the same rims does not solve the problem....the problem is the rims. I hope someone out there has a solution.

I called Ford, and they had not heard of this issue. They put in hold, called the dealership and spoke to the service department who confirmed that they did tell me the problem was the rims. Ford went on to say they did not know what they can do, as it is not on their recall list. In addition, there does not appear to be a problem for safety...but who knows? My Edge has 514 miles on it..go figure.

If any one could lend some advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Michael Thomas

Huntington Beach, CA 92649

My problem has nothing to do with the brass coming through, but my Edge, 2008 with 20 tires has noise coming from the rims...sounds like baseball cards on a bicycle rim..click, click, click. My dealer said replacing the rims with the same rims does not solve the problem....the problem is the rims. I hope someone out there has a solution.

I called Ford, and they had not heard of this issue. They put in hold, called the dealership and spoke to the service department who confirmed that they did tell me the problem was the rims. Ford went on to say they did not know what they can do, as it is not on their recall list. In addition, there does not appear to be a problem for safety...but who knows? My Edge has 514 miles on it..go figure.

If any one could lend some advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Michael Thomas

Huntington Beach, CA 92649

My 20" Chrome Clad wheels were doing the same thing (noise and turning brass) 800 miles at the time -wheels were backordered for a couple of weeks but the dealership replaced all four wheels. The new wheels were "clicking" before a got home - I'm about 5 miles away from the dealership! Service Manager said he would call Ford - that was a week ago - no word yet.

Dealers are instructed to "hold put" for the time being unfortunately. TSB is found to not be effective and a new service procedure is being researched. Keep in touch with your dealer and make sure they've contacted Tech Assistance in this matter.

On which issue? the bad chrome or the clicking noise?

• 3 months later...

I have had all 4 20" rims replaced because of the same condition and now all 4 of the new rims show the same brass at the hub... They keep telling me to be patient with the situation and it will be resolved... 7K miles and waiting...