Love my Edge, despite the weak Nav System.

msenzig

I have had my Edge for a little over 24-hours. In that time I discovered that my phone needed a software upgrade and the navigation system was living in the past. I have the manufactures DVD nav system that has points of interest that have been out of business for over a few years; additionally, I am finding(like many have before) that many legitimate POI are simply not listed. The Sync system seems cool, I haven't tapped into its full potential. I had issues with my Motorola Q integrating with the system, but that was due to a needed update...no wonder I was having so many problems before.

The POI is provided by a third party ... one who has ties to Garmin. The data is always a bit out of date. I chose the Nav here in Toronto Canada as the maps were updated for my province including a remote cabin I go to. Part of my job is dealing with geocoded base maps for Canada and soon USA. I have noticed an update has been done within the last year. Look at the date the Nav DVD was burned. You should of gotten the latest available. Look on the site provided by the Nav Help screen and check out the date on available DVD's. If yours is older ... insist on the latest as that is what you had purchased and expected at the time of delivery.

There is just so much data out there that it makes it hard to keep up with the latest. BTW ... I am an end user of Geocoded products ... so I get onto suppliers cases .....

The POI is provided by a third party ... one who has ties to Garmin. The data is always a bit out of date. I chose the Nav here in Toronto Canada as the maps were updated for my province including a remote cabin I go to. Part of my job is dealing with geocoded base maps for Canada and soon USA. I have noticed an update has been done within the last year. Look at the date the Nav DVD was burned. You should of gotten the latest available. Look on the site provided by the Nav Help screen and check out the date on available DVD's. If yours is older ... insist on the latest as that is what you had purchased and expected at the time of delivery.

There is just so much data out there that it makes it hard to keep up with the latest. BTW ... I am an end user of Geocoded products ... so I get onto suppliers cases .....

That's just BS. Navteq provides the data that Ford is willing to pay for. They also supply the data for the Nav in my 2004 Inifiniti G35, which has more streets, 13 million more POI's and is considerably more up to date than the software in my brand new Edge, and it's 4 years older. I might actually purchase a new DVD for the Infiniti, but I'll probably buy a new nav for the Ford. I will never pay money for a Navigation system from Ford again. Biggest waste of 2 large ever.

• 3 months later...

So are you happy with the ford edge 08 nav? I have seen that there is a updated dvd, Navteq 7P. I am planning on buying a 08 edge this week and would love to know if this is the dvd that should come with my 08 edge.

Thank you

fellow T.O

So are you happy with the ford edge 08 nav? I have seen that there is a updated dvd, Navteq 7P. I am planning on buying a 08 edge this week and would love to know if this is the dvd that should come with my 08 edge.

Thank you

fellow T.O

guess it depends on when they took delivery of that Edge you want to buy. I bought a few months ago and 6P was still the newest and in my car.. if that Edge you buy is newer on the lot, there is a 'chance' it will have 7p, but I am a bit skeptical as 7p is a really recent release.

BTW, if you must have 7p, as I have posted elsewhere, you can get it much mo cheaper off ebay than Navteq direct.