Look what a "careless driver" did to my Edge

:cry:

This is the 2nd time inside of 5 months I have been rear ended....

Edge is holding up well...

On a side note... a lot of posters use this forum about the little things they don't like about their Edges - the quirks and not so perfect things...

But as someone who has been rear ended twice - the Edge holds up extremely well. The Honda Civic that hit me (who was hit by an Audi A4) crumpled up under neath my Edge bumper. The exhaust is bent, reverse sensing busted and god knows what else.

I barely felt it - a little "funny" feeling in my back - but nothing too serious yet.

As you can see with the attached pics - damage does not look so bad.. I figure its over $2500 with the bent exhaust. Just to do the bumper covers last time cost insurance $1600.

Yes - the Edge may have its quirks - but its an extremely safe vehicle.. after looking at that crumpled Civic - I am grateful I am driving a well constructed heavy vehicle.

So the next time you think - "damn why didnt they light those buttons" - or "the NAV does not have enough POIs" - be thankful you have not been in accident.. but if you ever are ... the Edge is safe vehicle.

PS - the cardboard under the tire is to catch any antifreeze that happens to drip out of the bumper. The Civic 's antifreeze went everywhere when it hit.

post-517-1206311830_thumb.jpg

post-517-1206311844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edgy Girl

:cry:

This is the 2nd time inside of 5 months I have been rear ended....

Edge is holding up well...

On a side note... a lot of posters use this forum about the little things they don't like about their Edges - the quirks and not so perfect things...

But as someone who has been rear ended twice - the Edge holds up extremely well. The Honda Civic that hit me (who was hit by an Audi A4) crumpled up under neath my Edge bumper. The exhaust is bent, reverse sensing busted and god knows what else.

I barely felt it - a little "funny" feeling in my back - but nothing too serious yet.

As you can see with the attached pics - damage does not look so bad.. I figure its over $2500 with the bent exhaust. Just to do the bumper covers last time cost insurance $1600.

Yes - the Edge may have its quirks - but its an extremely safe vehicle.. after looking at that crumpled Civic - I am grateful I am driving a well constructed heavy vehicle.

So the next time you think - "damn why didnt they light those buttons" - or "the NAV does not have enough POIs" - be thankful you have not been in accident.. but if you ever are ... the Edge is safe vehicle.

PS - the cardboard under the tire is to catch any antifreeze that happens to drip out of the bumper. The Civic 's antifreeze went everywhere when it hit.

I have a full stock cat back exhaust..if you or your insurance company are interested..dunno what it would cost to ship..but i am sure that it would be cheaper then a new one from ford.

sorry to hear about you persistent misfortune with careless drivers..but glad to see the edge is holding up well.

Well.. preliminary repairs are totalling about $2800 - and that's before the dealer has it up on the racks.

So thats covers - lower bumper, complete exhaust, reverse sensing unit, full alignment, full electrical inspection.... dealer said it add would upper bumper cover as its scratched up and the snaps are broken - thats does not even include any structural damage to the bumper...

On Monday - Edge goes in for its repairs....

sorry Edgy Girl... it'll be back like new in no time!!

oh by the way, when the other person's insurance person tells you how much they're going to give for the damages, be sure you DEMAND at least an extra $1000 for "diminished value" (look it up online, you'll be happy you did). and rental car of course... lol

I'd also insist on using the body shop of my choice, but that's just me :)

Thanks..

But here in Ontario Canada... and because I was hit.... I have no deductible to pay... and insurance (state farm) handles all the paperwork.... including full value for the repairs at the FORD dealer of my choice... they did a great paint job on the first bumper..

And my policy includes a depreciation waiver - which means in the first 2 years the vehicle is replaced for FULL value - therefore ALL NEW parts for me.

Its all covered...Im good... bummed that my Edge is banged up.. but it can be fixed good as new..

I love my Edge.. its a great ride and I enjoy it....

ya... I understand all that. it's great to hear. have never really heard much about insurance claims in Canada so never knew in detail.

the deal with DIMINISHED VALUE, is it's something COMPLETELY separate than everything you just mentioned. what this mean is, the other person's insurance company has to compensate you a fair amount simply because your car has been in an accident (usually a few thousand dollars of damage or more). this is above and beyond any amount they're paying to fix your vehicle! why? because the assumption is, it will never drive 100% exactly "as new" ever again, and if you have to sell the vehicle to anyone, the fact it was partially wrecked diminishes the resale value, even a little. therefore diminished value compensation pays for that difference.

down here in the States it is not the law, but it is becoming much, much more common every day. often the victim has to insist on it, or the insurance company won't offer it up. but it definitely exists :) of course if a car did have really serious damage and had to have extensive work done, a person could always sue for diminished value if they didn't get it. and insurance companies know this, that is why they pay it out when pressed. the amount being completely negotiable, of course.

Well my Edge is back... with all NEW

Exhaust system (chrome tips all new) $1200

1 new reversing sensor $334

New upper and lower bumper covers $1000

Misc parts to complete $200

Labour and misc taxes $1600

Grand total $4495 etc

Having my Edge back on the first really nice day of Spring with Vista Roof open... PRICELESS

:happy feet:

Edited by Edgy Girl

Hi.. The quality was first rate.. all new parts inside including the 3x3 tempered steel bar inside the bumper. The paint finish was great when they did it the first time in November and its perfect now.

Matches up with the tone of the front bumper ... you cannot tell I had it replaced at all.

I went to this Ford Dealership because they were reputable and I know office workers who used them before. So far.. I am completely satisfied with their work.

And there was absolutely no argument about ordering my new rims under warranty.