Why the antenna in the center

Hi-

I would like to buy the Edge, but can't because of one design issue- the antenna that sticks up in the dead front center of the roof. This is a problem because I'm a surfer, and the antenna prevents me from mounting surfboards on my roof (I use longboards). It's amazing to me that so many companies are now designing crossovers vehicles with those antenna in the dead center on the roof (except Lexus, which puts it to the side, and Mercedes and BMW who use low-profile antennae). This prevents anyone from really using the roof racks for sufborads, snowboards or other such items. And no, the longboards won't fit inside the car or to one side of the antenna. Is there any way to have the antenna moved to the side? And why is everyone putting them in the center now?

Thanks

I would hardly let this sway my decision to buy a great car. The antenna is flexible, it will bend. I, my chick, my brother and most all of my friends surf here in SoCal and though I ride a short board and can fit it in my car (thanks to the seating flexibility package whereby the front passenger seat folds flat), where there is a will there is a way. I cannot put the board up top myself since I have the BAMR roof - so no rack - but if you did do a rack you 'could' compensate with a possible taller tower extensions and the board pads would all add a few inches in height from roof top.. taking some of the pressure off bending the antenna. but in the end, unless you drive around with your board on the rack 24/7 (which some people here do I admit), I would just let the antenna bend and get on with buying the car :)

I also found this in searching the internets for topics on replacement antennas - I was actually thinking someone might already make an after-market shark fin antenna at this stage: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=235 but they have some links to some stubby short antenna replacements which might be an option.

you know... I also got to looking at this more and see that the antenna on the Edge is actually more towards the windshield than the roof. that is, it is on the down slope curve of the roof. point is.. when you actually put a rack on with the height of the towers and what not, this may just not be as much as an issue as one might think. for a better visual, look at this thread post about a roof rack on an Edge... http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=14881 notice the antenna, when all said and done with a rack on top, is not majorly getting n the way of the rack and visually it looks like a board would fit on top with minimal bending of the antenna.. or no bending if you went to a stubby antenna.

Edited by Lex Talionis

The antenna can be unscrewed and removed from the base when you have the boards up there.

true that.. I did mine in like 5 seconds as it is just hand tight. this whole topic got me thinking about replacing that uber antenna - which I never really did like from the start but did not think too much of it - and I wanted to see just how well it was attached.. hand tight at best. take it off, toss it in the center console and away you go