Paint Problem

tommy79

My wife and I purchased an 08 Edge on April 5. Fifteen minutes after we left the lot we parked and noticed what looks like white paint overspray on the entire vehicle that appears to be under the clearcoat. We went back immediately and the sales manager said that we would have to bring it to the dealership's body shop to be buffed out. We paid alot of money for this vehicle and I'm starting to think that I would rather have them

A. Give me a new vehicle

B. Give me my money back

Does anyone think I stand a chance with these two options? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
My wife and I purchased an 08 Edge on April 5. Fifteen minutes after we left the lot we parked and noticed what looks like white paint overspray on the entire vehicle that appears to be under the clearcoat. We went back immediately and the sales manager said that we would have to bring it to the dealership's body shop to be buffed out. We paid alot of money for this vehicle and I'm starting to think that I would rather have them

A. Give me a new vehicle

B. Give me my money back

Does anyone think I stand a chance with these two options? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

This sounds like the same problem we had. They told us it is rail dust. This is from transporting them on the rail. Our dealer is trying to get us a new vehicle or going to replace the glass and paint. There is specks of this rail dust in our glass and headlight as well.

This sounds like the same problem we had. They told us it is rail dust. This is from transporting them on the rail. Our dealer is trying to get us a new vehicle or going to replace the glass and paint. There is specks of this rail dust in our glass and headlight as well.

Hi Edge08. :D If it is rail dust, it can be removed by anyone who knows the least bit about car detailing. Rail dust will just be rail/railyard contamination that is sitting on the surface and slightly embedded in the paint/glass. A good auto detail shop will just claybar the car, or use other specialized products that are made specifically for this problem. In fact, one or two have already been mentioned in previous threads in these forums.

If the contamination is under the clearcoat or colorcoat, it is not rail dust. It is something that was on the color coat before the clearcoat was applied. Short of having the paint stripped and re-painted, there is nothing that will fix that.

But since you say it is on the glass and headlight covers, it is most likely rail dust or some other type of environmental fallout.

Do not have your car repainted. You will never be happy with the job. Short of a full custom paint job (very expensive and not what you will get from the Dealer/Ford), the re-paint will never look as good as the factory paint job.

If it is rail dust and Ford will give you a new car (highly doubtful for a problem like this), great, but do-not accept a re-paint.

Tell them to have a good detailer remove the rail dust with a claybar or other specialized treatment. It is easy.

In fact, it is so easy, you can do it yourself with about $25 worth of claybar and detail spray. But since the vehicle is new, have the Dealer take care of it.

If the contamination is under the clearcoat or colorcoat, insist they take the vehicle back. Do not accept a re-paint. It will never be like a proper factory paint job.

Of course, this is my opinion and others may disagree. But it's my advice. for what it is worth.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530