Motor Trend & Autoweek disappointed with Edge first drives!?

superford

I don't know if anybody caught "Autoline Detroit" with John McElroy yesterday Sunday, Sept 24th, 2006. ( http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoline/ )

The guest hosts were from Motor Trend and AutoWeek. Neither of them had ANYTHING postive to say about their first impressions of the Edge. Both of them complained that the vehicle was about "1000lbs" too heavy, supposedly weighing in around 4500lbs! Both also literally said, that since the Edge apparently doesn't offer 3rd row seating, that Ford "SHOULDN'T EVEN BOTHER BUILDING IT!" The Motor Trend guy also complained that he didn't like the new transmission because it only offered "Drive" or "Low" ranges. He said that the 3.5L did a decent job of pulling the edge around, but again, that the vehicle is too heavy.

I know that these are just two journalists opinions, but lots of prospective buyers read their opinions when making decisions on what to purchase.

While my hopes are still up that Ford is moving in the right direction, these types of reviews don't bode well for the Edge being the "savior" that everyone at Ford seem to be hoping for.

:-(

Show #1032

Detroit Public Television

Sunday, September 24 @ 10:30AM EST

Speed

Sunday, September 24 @ 8:30AM EST

Monday, September 25 @ 7:00AM EST

Segment 1: Industry News: The Ford Cuts Continue

Panel:

John McElroy, Host, Autoline Detroit

Frank Markus, Motor Trend

Wes Raynal, AutoWeek

later,

chris

I can honestly say I understand what they are talking about!! I personally shift through ALL of my gears in my AUTOMATIC Explorer. So I might add that since the Edge also doesn't offer a third row, and obviously no other Ford vehicle does either, I will be purchasing a Toyota instead of an Edge. I don't care if I have to park far away or that my new Toyota will get keyed every day. I will have a third row!! I will have a L-2-3-4-5-D on my center console. I will have my way!!

A little sarcasm for the slow crowd. :doh:

The Edge rocks and we're going to sell a ton of them!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

And if the Edge was a 3 row, then MT would be bashing Ford because they have no "mid-sized" CUV.

I agree with the weight. But that's what you get when you start adding all the "comfort" and saftey options the Edge has. You can't just start throwing on side air bags and assume it won't weigh more. I'm willing to bet the Edge will come in with full five star all the way around. If I had to sacrifice a few pounds for that, I'm fine.

Besides, 265HP is more than enough for me. Hell, my SuperCrew is 265HP and 1100lbs HEAVIER yet.

Personally, I only like one auto mag review journalist. Can't remember the spelling of his name. Ceasar Csabe? or something like that. Odd name. Cool guy. Now if he reviews the Edge, I'll listen. Everyone else I take with a grain of salt...

I think these Yutz's just aren't looking at the market spot the Edge is trying to fill. It's NOT a smaller "Wagon" like a Focus, or say even a Caliber. It's not trying to replace the Explorer in people hauling size. It's trying to fit that spot in between the two. Something not totally huge, but yet very functional.

It's like bashing the Corvette because it has not truck space or rear leg room. Well DUH, dipshits...

From what I've been picking up, and my own initial impressions, I think the Edge will get just so-so reviews.

That said, I am seeing good hits on this forum. Journalists have been slamming the Dodge Caliber, but it has been selling well to people who are VERY enthusiastic about it. I had 40 enrolled in my reliability panel within a couple months of it going on sale--this is almost unheard of. If owners are similarly enthusiastic about the Edge, then it similarly has a shot.

One mistake is that they've priced it about $2,000 higher than they should have to have an impact. They're pricing for immediate profits, and that's just not the way to go. They need to buy some positive buzz, even given their current condition.

Ford's official curb weight is 4073 pounds for FWD, and I think a bit under 4,300 for AWD. So I'm not sure where the 4,500 is coming from, unless Ford is cheating the specs.

Curb weights of comparable vehicles:

Mazda CX-7: 3,710

Nissan Murano: 3,851

Lexus RX: 3,870

Okay, so even with Ford's official weight it's a couple hundred over where it should be...

Ford offers three three-row vehicles: Freestyle, Explorer, Expedition. They probably didn't put a third row in the Edge because they figured the Freestyle had that spot covered. But people aren't seeing the two as even roughly equivalent.

The biggest problem might be that people keep thinking that the Edge is a compact SUV, when it's really a midsize SUV. The rounded front end and large alloys are probably largely to blame: it does look smaller than it is. The question is how to correct this perception. Hopefully, for Ford's sake, seeing the Edge in the metal will do the trick.

• 4 months later...