Wheel nut torque

Willard164

Yeah, I know... hasn't this topic been flogged to death yet. BUT, the final answer has not arrived yet. The Manual for my 2018 Edge w/20" alloy wheels, states 162 ft/lbs, as it has since the 2016 model-year. That is an excessive torque for a STANDARD M14x1.5 stud.

My question is... what is the Property Class for the 2016 and onward wheel studs? If it is Standard Class, then 162 ft/lbs will destroy the threads. If it is Property Class 12.9 (doubtful), then the specified torque is correct.

Getting Ford to divulge the Property Class of the wheel studs would be interesting... and probably futile. Tier-1 Customer Support (and further up the chain) probably won't have an answer.

Unless the studs are high-grade, 162 ft/lbs is crazy. SAE torque values for standard M14x1.5 wheel lugs is 85-95 ft/lbs. Asking everyone to accept a high torque spec (because the Ford engineers said so) without knowing the Property Class is foolish.