Need help with buying Sync 2 replacement module

I have 2011 Ford Edge SEL. My Sync 2 APIM module is

part# BT4Z-14D212-BA

engineering# BT4T 14D212 AK

My story is probably the same with everyone. My screen went black and came back a few times, and then it went black forever. I tried all the tricks, but it didn't come back. So I'm on a mission to buy a replacement module. Sync 3 is just cost too much for me now.

I did a lot of reading, but I just want to make sure before I buy one. My questions are:

1) I have read that the Sync 2 APIM module is the same across other Ford models (e.g. Explorer, Focus, Fiesta, and F-150). The Sync 2 module on different models have different part number. Do I have to get the exact part number for the replacement? Will Sync 2 APIM module with different part number work for me? I know that I will have to update the As-Built data.

2) Some people advertise theirs with no navigation. Is there any different between module with and without navigation? Is it merely the As-Built data? My old one has the navigation and SD card.

3) Some of them have 2 connectors in the back, while some have 3 connectors. Are they different? Please see the pictures.

Also if anyone has one lying around and would like to sell it, please let me know. Thank you very much for all the responses.

post-28326-0-74252500-1532926419_thumb.jpg

post-28326-0-34143700-1532926430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bundit

Have you thought about doing a Sync 3 swap? It's more expensive since it involves the screen, hub, GPS antenna and an adapter but the difference is totally worth it IMO. I've done 3 (2 (2 of my personal cars and 1 for a friend). If you did go the Sync 3 route I would check with a local junk yard versus ebay. My friend was able to get a Sync 3 screen and APIM for around $200. In all he spent less than $400 and couldn't be happier. He swapped his due to the black screen issue. My 2 I just hated Sync 2 compared to 3 :)

To answer your questions.

1. I know ford changed part numbers on Sync 2 modules a few times. The modules PNs are different between my 2011 and 2013 but the units are swappable between the two,

2. You used to be able to make a non-nav APIM a Nav APIM but ford patched that somewhat with one of the Sync updates.from what I heard. Depending on the version on the APIM you may or may not be able to do this.

3. The 3rd connector is for another USB port not used in our cars. I can look at mine tonight and edit this post but don't remember if all 3 had the extra usb.

Edit:

My 2011 APIM is PN BT4T-14F239-CJ Date Code 10-01-10

My 2013 APIM is PN DL3T-14F239-AK Date Code 09-20-12

Both have the extra USB.

I'd give one of mine if I wasn't holding onto them to swap back if I get rid of the vehicles. I have no other reason to hold onto them.

Edited by Okie
  • Like 1

+1 on Okie's suggestion to take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade to Sync 3. I just did a Sync 3 upgrade myself on my 2011 Edge Ltd, if fact I used Okie's APIM codes he posted to program my unit.

I got lucky and managed to snag a NAV APIM and screen from a 2018 Ford Flex I found at a junkyard for $100 shipped.

In my research I have seen others post about paying the same or a little more for their units, you just have to be persistent in your search and call the yards to make sure they have what you are looking for. I did have to return a couple items from another online site that listed their item as a 8" control panel. What I received was the HVAC control panel with the 8" frame for the screen. I was able to ship these back for a refund, but lesson learned, call. I found my unit on car-part.com. You have to weed through all of the sync 2 units as that is mostly what you will find. Register for the ford etis website(free registration, pretend you're a dealer) and run any VIN's you find to see if the vehicle has Sync 3 or navigation. You are looking for the recessed version of the screen, so search for Edge 2016+, Explorer 2016+, F-250/350 2017+, Flex 2016+ or Taurus 2016+. Good Luck!

Thank you. I did look at the Sync 3 option, but the price of those I can get a hold on is at least $800. Being in Canada doesn't help much with the supply. I will keep my eyes open for Sync 3 and don't mind replacing it again if I can get it that cheap.

Question for arnesr. What did you search for when you use car-part.com? Their options in the list don't exactly match the Sync 3 module.