Do you remember the $ of Gas??

ixlar8

Yeah, filled up the Edge this morning with regular unleaded $4.05.9 per GAL.

When I first got my license, (1961) I filled up Dad's 1955 Bel Aire (265 CID-Powerglide). I can remember it was 19.9 cents per gallon.

I can remember pulling into the Purple Martin Station and asking the attendant(!) for a quarters worth of regular because that is all I had left from my allowance and the needle was pegged beyond E.

...and he did. Oh yeah, throw in a quart of that 25 cent glass-bottle-with-a-spout reclaimed oil while your at it...

During the 'gas price wars' of the late 60s, I pumped Sunoco 260 into my Camaro SS 396 (!) for 25.9 and regular (leaded) was 16.9!!

The only thing pumped out of the Persian Gulf was Sand.

Yeah, filled up the Edge this morning with regular unleaded $4.05.9 per GAL.

When I first got my license, (1961) I filled up Dad's 1955 Bel Aire (265 CID-Powerglide). I can remember it was 19.9 cents per gallon.

I can remember pulling into the Purple Martin Station and asking the attendant(!) for a quarters worth of regular because that is all I had left from my allowance and the needle was pegged beyond E.

...and he did. Oh yeah, throw in a quart of that 25 cent glass-bottle-with-a-spout reclaimed oil while your at it...

During the 'gas price wars' of the late 60s, I pumped Sunoco 260 into my Camaro SS 396 (!) for 25.9 and regular (leaded) was 16.9!!

The only thing pumped out of the Persian Gulf was Sand.

Howdie...

Cannot say that I personally remember gas that low, but wow....todays price is beyond control...rediculous....

i am sure everyone will agree...

it is the topic of the town these days...

It really is insane...

yeah I can remember gas as low as about 79c throughout my childhood (early - mid 80s)

normally it was around a dollar, occassionally spiking to $1.20 or $1.30 in the early 90s. I remember when I got my first car (age 21, was about 1995) and gas was like $1.19 a gallon which eventually got up to $2 / gal during that fall and slowly came back down over time. but I recall thinking... wow these prices are insane.

now I can't drive past a station that's not $3.95 regular if not higher. wow what a difference. so much for having $5 left in your pocket before payday and squeezing 3 or 4 gallons into your tank to get by to get to work. I love my Edge and gets decent mileage but I also doubt I'll be filling up for less than $60 anytime soon.

I remember just after the first gas crisis of 1973, gas shot up to 58 cents a gallon and long lines with 10 gallon maximums.

We used to sit around the lunch table at work and talk about gas rationing and someone would say

"I got my gas coupon right here", and then he'd pulll out a dollar bill.

We'd all laugh, Gas a Dollar??!!!

HA!

yeah I can remember gas as low as about 79c throughout my childhood (early - mid 80s)

normally it was around a dollar, occassionally spiking to $1.20 or $1.30 in the early 90s. I remember when I got my first car (age 21, was about 1995) and gas was like $1.19 a gallon which eventually got up to $2 / gal during that fall and slowly came back down over time. but I recall thinking... wow these prices are insane.

now I can't drive past a station that's not $3.95 regular if not higher. wow what a difference. so much for having $5 left in your pocket before payday and squeezing 3 or 4 gallons into your tank to get by to get to work. I love my Edge and gets decent mileage but I also doubt I'll be filling up for less than $60 anytime soon.

Feeling you on that $60.00 thing. When I first got my baby last Sept...I was filling up for under or around 50 bucks...but now, sheeeeesh!!!

:wacko:

I remember as a kid there was always a gas war between two towns that were 15 miles apart but both had refineries, Augusta, KS and ElDorado, KS. We had a 1967 Imperial with a 25 gallon tank. I can remember dad being near empty and filling it up with Ethyl, giving the guy a $5 bill, and getting change! Those were the days!!!! That car had been built for the governor of Missouri, who lost the 1966 election, and the Kansas City dealer then tried to sell it to the governor of KS, who rode in it in his inaugural parade in January of 1967. He bought a Lincoln and our local dealer happened to be at the KC dealer, saw the car, bought it and drove it home to dad's law office. Dad bought it on sight. That dealer had a knack of knowing exactly what car almost all of his cutomers would buy and when they would buy it. I worked as the detail kid and later as a car delvery person for that dealer when I was in high school. He sold a lot of cars for a small town rural KS dealer. That '67 Imperial LeBaron was all black and had a high performance spec 440 six pack in it. It would fly when you hit the gas. Virtually every surface in the interior was black leather. Milburn Drysdale had one that looked just like it in the Beverly Hillbillys. That was the first true luxury car we ever had.

• 3 months later...
I remember as a kid there was always a gas war between two towns that were 15 miles apart but both had refineries, Augusta, KS and ElDorado, KS. We had a 1967 Imperial with a 25 gallon tank. I can remember dad being near empty and filling it up with Ethyl, giving the guy a $5 bill, and getting change! Those were the days!!!! That car had been built for the governor of Missouri, who lost the 1966 election, and the Kansas City dealer then tried to sell it to the governor of KS, who rode in it in his inaugural parade in January of 1967. He bought a Lincoln and our local dealer happened to be at the KC dealer, saw the car, bought it and drove it home to dad's law office. Dad bought it on sight. That dealer had a knack of knowing exactly what car almost all of his cutomers would buy and when they would buy it. I worked as the detail kid and later as a car delvery person for that dealer when I was in high school. He sold a lot of cars for a small town rural KS dealer. That '67 Imperial LeBaron was all black and had a high performance spec 440 six pack in it. It would fly when you hit the gas. Virtually every surface in the interior was black leather. Milburn Drysdale had one that looked just like it in the Beverly Hillbillys. That was the first true luxury car we ever had.

I had a 63 Imperial. Gas was around $.35 a gallon at that time.

• 4 months later...