Vista roof and rack rail

Good day all,

This is my first question.

I have ordered an Edge mid January 07.

It is an AWD, SEL, copper with camel interior.

The options I have choseen are: Trailer Class II, Roof rack, Read DVD.

This car is going to replace our 2001 X5 as the main family car, eventually.

I wanted to have the Vista roof but was told that it is not possible with the Roof rail option.

I need the roof rail so I can put on the Thule bike rack and the Thule cargo 'saussage'.

I was very dissapointed not to be able to have the Vista roof as well. I do not quite understand. From the Edge I have seen, with the Vista roof, there should be enough clearance for the side rail and the Thule cross bar and the open Vista roof. The Roof raises only few inches above the normal roof line.

I would like to know why the Roof Rail cannot be ordered with the Vista Roof. Is there a technical issue with having the Roof rail and the Vista?

Can I add the roof rail from the dealer even with the Vista ordered from the Factory or the Vista mechnism makes it impossible to also have the Roof Rail at the same time?

I do not know where my order is in the production sequence at this time. I will try to see if a VIN has been issued.

How late in the production sequence can I make modifications to my option list i.e. change te Roof rail for the Vista roof for example?

Thanks

Regards,

Marc G

Good question Marc as to the technicalities as to why the roof rails and Vista roof are incompatible. I'll look into that, no one has ever questioned me personally on it yet.

As for the deadline to modify an order you have up until the order has been "Submitted to Plant." At which point it will have a full VIN. You can make any changes until that point. Bear in mind, order scheduling happens as early as Wednesday nights on a weekly basis.

I know the choices are either Vista Roof, roof rails, or nothing at all.

I know there is a limit to how much weight you should put on a vehicles roof before it drastically changes the driving characteristics. With the heavy glass roof I don't see much more room for extra weight up there. Just my opinion :mellow:

I know the choices are either Vista Roof, roof rails, or nothing at all.

I know there is a limit to how much weight you should put on a vehicles roof before it drastically changes the driving characteristics. With the heavy glass roof I don't see much more room for extra weight up there. Just my opinion :mellow:

Any update?