Engine Rattle in overdrive and acceleration

buckster

Bought this car on 4/9 and has been in the shop for 23 days now with Ford regional reps involved, trying to solve this engine related rattle. I was orginally told that this noise was in all edge's and was due to a lean fuel burn. I have driven 5 others to this point an have not heard it in any others. My noise was so bad that the sales manager stated that if he heard a noise this bad, he would not by the car. Yet, I am dealing with ford throwing parts at the car with no success.

Anyone else in this boat??

Bought this car on 4/9 and has been in the shop for 23 days now with Ford regional reps involved, trying to solve this engine related rattle. I was orginally told that this noise was in all edge's and was due to a lean fuel burn. I have driven 5 others to this point an have not heard it in any others. My noise was so bad that the sales manager stated that if he heard a noise this bad, he would not by the car. Yet, I am dealing with ford throwing parts at the car with no success.

Anyone else in this boat??

Hi buckster. :D It sounds as though the rattle may be engine pre-ignition (a.k.a. detonation). Of course, it is hard to diagnose over the Internet.

Have you tried running a full tank or two of premium fuel through your car (91-93 octane)? If you did, did the "rattle" disappear or lessen? If it does disappear or lessen when you run premium fuel, it most likely is detonation. The Dealer should be able to fix that easily by properly tuning the vehicle. However, since they are having trouble finding the cause, you may have another/other problems.

If your problem continues and they cannot fix it, you should do the following: Find the "Warranty Guide" you were given when you purchased your Edge. The first page lists a "Three Step Process" to follow if your problem is not resolved to your satisfaction. If that does not work, there is an arbitration process to follow through the BBB. If that does not work, your next step is to initiate "Lemon Law" proceedings.

The "Warranty Guide" outlines in detail all of these procedures. Do not necessarily expect your Dealer to volunteer the information. As far as they are concerned, you were handed the booklet when you purchased the vehicle, so they assume you have read the Warranty Guide, know the information and will follow it (I am not saying this attitude is the right way for the Dealer to do business, just explaining the way it is).

If you can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download an online copy here (you do not mention your model year, so the link is for the 2007 Edge): LINK: Warranty Guide

Hope this information helps and good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Out of curiosity, what sort of parts are being thrown at your Edge? It would be useful information for you to know.

Edited by bbf2530