2013 Edge SEL - No Sony - DSR1

Hey all,

I've looked around for information for a while now to no avail. I have a 2013 Edge SEL with the stock non-premium radio, and I've been adding and replacing parts to the system. At this point I have new speakers and have installed the subwoofer with the help of a line output converter, but the nice new speakers have really brought out the crumminess in the stock equalization settings. I think it's time to add a DSP and 4-channel amp into the mix. Looking around, it seems that the combined-effort Rockford Fosgate / iDatalink Maestro ADS-DSR1 is going to be my best bet for DSP. The question I have revolves around its compatibility with my system. I know it can run in universal mode (e.g., splice the speaker wires to it just like any old DSP), but I was hoping to utilize the factory integration features it has to make things easier and potentially sound better. On their site, it mentions that the DSR1 includes the "Maestro AR", which is for amplifier replacements, and the only option for my year and model is the "Sony amplified system", which I don't have. Has anyone tried installing one of these DSPs in a similar vehicle with any success?

• 1 month later...

You can replace the My Ford Touch with a Sync 3 from 2016+ newer models, which includes android auto and apple carplay, though this does very little audio processing, and I believe actually outputs the digital to the stereo which is a separate unit. It’s a bit of a project, but with a bit of research it can be done. I’m currently in the middle of such a project on my 2014 SEL. The crumminess you hear has less to do with the equalizer, and honestly more to do with the mechanical structure your speakers are housed in. The speakers are set in a large plastic panel, which is muddying the sound, and there are a number of vibration points in the door to eliminate. Your best bet will be to use Dynamat to reduce vibrations on the inner part of the outer metal, and maybe some also on the plastic panel that the speaker is housed in, though I don’t know how much effect it has on plastic. Also, I highly recommend getting 6x8 stinger road kill foam, which will help reduce unwanted pressure and waves inside the door panel by directing the air the speaker moves only out of the door panel. Additionally, if you take apart the door, you will notice that different modules like the window switches and mirror adjuster are plugged into larger plastic modules and have wiggle room. Just Unplug them, and wedge some rubber or thick tape in as you plug them back in. Anything else that wiggles or could rattle, see what you can do with a little foam or tape to secure it. That will go miles as far as the sound goes, and isn’t terribly expensive. Speakers were the right start, but if you don’t fix the enclosures, the sound quality isn’t going to get much better.

I actually have recently discovered something that will really improve the sound if you have replaced the speakers. If you are familiar with forscan (if not, easy to learn and do), there is a single code change for the amplifier (called the acme for now on) to disable the equalizer and REALLY improve the stock sound. 

In the “as built” code for forscan in your vehicle, you’ll want to change the value for this line:

727-01-02 x*xx-zz 

where * represents the number to change, change it to a 0. It will get rid of the heavy and muddy processing and output a cleaner sound. That coupled with my previous instructions has made my 2014 Ford Edge SEL (non-Sony)have a HEAVENLY sound, where initially it was honestly VERY disappointing. Hope this helps!

If you haven’t used forscan, it’s easy to use and there are lots of instructions to use it, but you need a special OBD2 cable and a computer to connect to your vehicle.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Call Rockford fosgate. If the DSR1 dose not work they will discuss options. Buy direct from them for warranty. 

I had a 3.sixty.3 on my Sony premium. It has serious issues. Now I up dated to a DSR1 and got a bad unit. After get a replacement I hope I never have to talk about it. 

If anyone has 2013 Sony system wiring diagrams please message me.

Good luck. 

I added 3 boxes of dynamate rubber backed foil and 1 roll of foam matting. The doors take a lot to make quiet. And there is noise after 2 or 3 attempts to deaden the noise. You will get to a point where enough is enough. My doors are almost 25lbs heavier. It does make a difference.

Remove all of the factory speakers including center and rear fill. Fosgate makes a 3.5" that work well. Don't for get to dynomat the enclosures as well or you will hear the dash raddle and the pillars squeak.