Power Liftgate Grinding 2008

evh

My Mother-in-law called and said when she pressed the button to raise the liftgate on her 2008 MKX, it did not move and made a grinding noise.  She said she had to lift it by hand (she did not say that it closed on her).  Note I live in Michigan and it is one of our coldest days today (20 degrees).    

I have not had a chance to look at it yet.  My first guess is the lift supports are bad (only 11 years old) and need to be replaced.  The grinding has me wondering if I am correct though.  Would it grind if it can't open it?  Anyone have the same issue?

Thx.

Edited by evh

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of follow-up.  So I ordered some new lift supports from RockAuto and installed them.  Same issue.  I checked the removed supports after removal and they seemed fine.  Again, I can hear the motor grind when the buttons are pushed.  My thinking is it is the motor.  When it is grinding and I lift it about half way, it will catch and bring it up all the way.  So I am thinking I would replace the motor.  I think that is something I can do.  Has anyone done that and can provide any comments?  My guess is I remove the plastic panel on the side of the lift and remove the motor.  Right?  

However, here is the catch.  I looked up the part number on line and it seems to be part# AA1Z14B351B.  That part shows it is no longer available.  I called my local Ford parts department and they said it shows it is part number AA1Z14B351D.  I asked if he had the part and he had to do some searching.  He seemed to imply they would have trouble getting it and would have to go through the dealer network and it would cost a little over $1,000.  So that is not an option.

I looked on eBay and found some used ones there.  So that may be my approach.  Anyone have experience with this and can additional information?

Thx.