Won't park

Myfudge

I have had concerns about how much the vehicle rolls when going into park, but it appears that is the "nature of the beast". I have a more serious problem now, the vehicle is stuck in my driveway with the gear shift lever in park, but it won't stay in place at all. I turned the key off and tried to restart it, but it won't start now and won't come out of park and the vehicle rolls when I take off the parking brake. Has anyone had this happen to them? How did they fix it? My husband wants to see if he can fix it tomorrow so it doesn't have to be towed.

I have had concerns about how much the vehicle rolls when going into park, but it appears that is the "nature of the beast". I have a more serious problem now, the vehicle is stuck in my driveway with the gear shift lever in park, but it won't stay in place at all. I turned the key off and tried to restart it, but it won't start now and won't come out of park and the vehicle rolls when I take off the parking brake. Has anyone had this happen to them? How did they fix it? My husband wants to see if he can fix it tomorrow so it doesn't have to be towed.

Hi Myfudge. :D Check your Owners Manual for the instructions on how to release the "Brake Shift Interlock". There is an emergency release under a small plastic access cover, just above and to the right of the shifter handle. Look in the Index under "Brakes", then "shift interlock". In the '08 Manual, the instructions are on page 242. Here is the text from the Manual (there is also a helpful picture in the Manual):

Brake-shift interlock

This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is in the RUN position unless brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in the RUN position and the brake pedal depressed:

1. Apply the parking brake, turn

ignition key to LOCK, then remove

the key.

2. Using a screwdriver (or similar

tool), remove the protective cover

to the interlock release access hole

on the console.

3. Insert the screwdriver (or similar

tool) into the access hole and press

downward while pulling the

gearshift lever out of the P (Park)

position and into the N (Neutral)

position.

4. Remove the tool and reinstall the

protective cover.

5. Start the vehicle and release the

parking brake.

If it is necessary to use the above procedure to move the gearshift lever,

it is possible that a fuse has blown or the vehicle’s brakelamps are not

operating properly. Refer to Fuses and relays in the Roadside

Emergencies chapter.

Do not drive your vehicle until you verify that the brakelamps

are working.

This may help you get it out of Park. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will help with the larger problems of it not starting and the seeming shifter disconnect. You will need to check your brake-lamps and fuses.

In addition, if you are still within the original "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" period (3 years/36,000 miles), you have free roadside assistance. Call the Ford Roadside Assistance" phone number listed on the cards you were supplied when you purchased your Edge, and in your Owners Manual. At the very least, it will be towed to your Ford Dealer at no charge to you.

Good luck. :beerchug: