Towing downhill?

I participate in motorcycle roadraces about 20 mi. North of Lancaster, Ca. at Willow Springs Raceway. To get there I must go up and down the Cajon Pass I-15. I currently have an '04 Ford PSD F-250. I also have a motorcycle ramp that attaches into the reciever and carries the bike parallel to the tailgate.

In light of fuel prices and the fact that I don't really need a full sized pickup to haul a 385 lb. Ducati, a generator, fuel cans and a shade tent around, I have started thinking about a crossover. The Flex looks cool, but it seems too heavy and seems overkill since it is just my wife and our Sheltie and an Escape might not be big or powerful enough so I am seriously looking at the Edge

The trailer wouldbe about 5x12 enclosed and allow us to get to the track on Fri. afternoon of the race weekend and leave the trailer at the track to hold hold a space close to the track entrance and tech inspection for practice on Sat. and racing on Sunday while we spend the nights in the local motel.

Form what I have read, the Edge will have no problem going UP the Cajon and I think uphill towing would be OK since gravity and the trailer hitch would stabilize the trailer behind the EGDE.

So here's my problem. I have no problem leaning into a curve at 140mph with a pack of bikes around me, but the thought of driving down the grade of the Cajon Pass in the slow lane (mandated in Ca.) with a 40+ ton semi tailgating me and the semi in front of me putting on its breaks gives me night sweats. Especially considering the posts that claim the the Edge brakes aren't the strongest.

So any input you can give a towing novice about how an Edge handles downhill towing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by DUCKRACER

I participate in motorcycle roadraces about 20 mi. North of Lancaster, Ca. at Willow Springs Raceway. To get there I must go up and down the Cajon Pass I-15. I currently have an '04 Ford PSD F-250. I also have a motorcycle ramp that attaches into the reciever and carries the bike parallel to the tailgate.

In light of fuel prices and the fact that I don't really need a full sized pickup to haul a 385 lb. Ducati, a generator, fuel cans and a shade tent around, I have started thinking about a crossover. The Flex looks cool, but it seems too heavy and seems overkill since it is just my wife and our Sheltie and an Escape might not be big or powerful enough so I am seriously looking at the Edge

The trailer wouldbe about 5x12 enclosed and allow us to get to the track on Fri. afternoon of the race weekend and leave the trailer at the track to hold hold a space close to the track entrance and tech inspection for practice on Sat. and racing on Sunday while we spend the nights in the local motel.

Form what I have read, the Edge will have no problem going UP the Cajon and I think uphill towing would be OK since gravity and the trailer hitch would stabilize the trailer behind the EGDE.

So here's my problem. I have no problem leaning into a curve at 140mph with a pack of bikes around me, but the thought of driving down the grade of the Cajon Pass in the slow lane (mandated in Ca.) with a 40+ ton semi tailgating me and the semi in front of me putting on its breaks gives me night sweats. Especially considering the posts that claim the the Edge brakes aren't the strongest.

So any input you can give a towing novice about how an Edge handles downhill towing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

can`t say i have towed anything yet with our edge, it has the tow package, BUT a great feature that it has is an O/D lock out, i have used it and by turning the overdrive off and applying the brake the trans downshifts, and according to how hard you depress the pedal it will downshift even further helping to slow the vehicle, it is an excelent working device and i could see it being very beneficial when pulling a trailer! I WISH my pickup acted in this maner when towing!

Hey DUCKRACER. We just towed our 2 Sea-Doos with our Edge. We are out in the San Fernando Valley and towed them up to Sacramento last week. The Edge did awesome all around!! Even pulled the Grapevine quite well. The Sea-Doo's weigh about 2700lbs including a single axle Zieman trailer with no trailer brakes. We have the factory class II hitch (the small 1 1/4" one). Averaged about 18mpg round trip. No clomplaints what so ever. Just don't go over the 3500lb weight.

Hey DUCKRACER. We just towed our 2 Sea-Doos with our Edge. We are out in the San Fernando Valley and towed them up to Sacramento last week. The Edge did awesome all around!! Even pulled the Grapevine quite well. The Sea-Doo's weigh about 2700lbs including a single axle Zieman trailer with no trailer brakes. We have the factory class II hitch (the small 1 1/4" one). Averaged about 18mpg round trip. No clomplaints what so ever. Just don't go over the 3500lb weight.

Thanks, 818. That is encouraging, especially when you consider that the grapevine is much steeper that the Cajon and the fact that my Ducati only weighs about 385lbs. Thanks again for your response.

Your bike may only weigh 385lbs, but once you add in all the other stuff you normally take you can get up there in weight without thinking about it. Trust me, if you have space to bring stuff, you will bring it. The wife can always find extra stuff to bring if the space is available!!!! :stop:

Your bike may only weigh 385lbs, but once you add in all the other stuff you normally take you can get up there in weight without thinking about it. Trust me, if you have space to bring stuff, you will bring it. The wife can always find extra stuff to bring if the space is available!!!! :stop:

You are wise and must know a little about roadracing. Yes, in the trailer will also go the generator (90lbs), tire warmers (7lbs), full gas can (35lbs), E-Z UP (50 lbs), front and rear race stands (20lbs) and two tool boxes (40lbs). In the tow vehicle will go the lap-time transponder, helmet, leathers, gloves, boots, suite case and ice chest, dog food, water bowl, Wife and Sheltie.

If I can find a trailer that weighs about 1,000lbs, I think I can come in under 3,500lb., right?

You should be able to get a small one no problem. Theres lots of place off of the 15 up there by Victorville-Hesperia. Just drove thru there today on our way back from Vegas. My uncle has a small box trailer he uses to move stuff around that is light as a feather.

P.s. Towed our Sea-Doos to Vegas last Sunday and stayed for the week. Baker grade 105 degrees 65mph, air conditioner crankin, 18 mpg. Took the 210 to the 15 and up. Cajon pass was no problem at all either.

Another thing to consider if you haven't bought a trailer yet is aluminum. You will pay for it, but if your like me and take everything you can think (just incase stuff) the weight savings of the aluminum trailer is greatly appreciated.

Also, the OD lock out only locks out 6th gear from what I have counted. The computer controlled down shifting is nice, but still wish I could be incontrol of what gear to put it in. Also, with the OD off and the speed-control on when going down hills, the Edge will down shift automatically to help maintain speed. Now I haven't pulled the mountains in my Edge yet, but with my 2400# jet boat or 5x10 trailer loaded, it pulls great. I actually got 22 mpg pulling my boat to northern Minnesota, and that was with the OD off and keeping speeds around 60-64 mph on the back roads.

You should be able to get a small one no problem. Theres lots of place off of the 15 up there by Victorville-Hesperia. Just drove thru there today on our way back from Vegas. My uncle has a small box trailer he uses to move stuff around that is light as a feather.

P.s. Towed our Sea-Doos to Vegas last Sunday and stayed for the week. Baker grade 105 degrees 65mph, air conditioner crankin, 18 mpg. Took the 210 to the 15 and up. Cajon pass was no problem at all either.

818 and IZZYAZ

Thanks for your input. Very encouraging.

If you're going to be in the Antelope Valley on the first Sunday in October, come up to Willow Springs Raceway around 9:30 am and watch me race....for 3rd place;-) My bike # is 921.