Latest SYNC Version

Does anybody know what the latest Ford SYNC version for a 2008 Ford Edge is? The owner.ford.com website (a pathetically horrible and slow website) tells me that it is version 1.3. This doesn't make sense - when I look on Wikipedia, they state that SYNC version 2 was released in 2008 and SYNC version 3 was released in 2009. I drive a 2008 Ford so I can't see the hardware going out of date that fast, in two years. I currently have version 1.3 installed, there must be a way to get at least version 2 on it. As I noted in my previous post, when I view system information I see "autoversion 5 8 08351_5P>". I don't think this is the correct information I am looking for. How do I tell which version of SYNC is installed on my vehicle? No navigation, just the 6 CD changer style of display.  I honestly can't find a video anywhere that tells me how to do this.

Edited by michaelfriesen
Wikipedia reference

• 2 weeks later...

SYNC versions[edit]

The original SYNC system (before the introduction of MyFord Touch) is now known as "SYNC Gen1", while the new MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems are known as "Gen2".

SYNC Gen1, Sept. 2007-Nov. 2012[edit]

SYNC v1, which debuted September 2007, offered the ability to play certain entertainment media, the ability to connect to certain mobile phones and digital audio players and to utilize SMS.[3] In January 2008, SYNC v2 was released, which enabled two new Ford developed applications: 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report.[3] SYNC v3, released in April 2009, enabled the Traffic, Directions and Information application. Later that month, Ford Work Solutions, a collection of five applications marketed towards professionals who buy Ford trucks, was added. The applications included in the Ford Work Solution were Crew Chief, Garmin Nav, LogMeIn and Tool Link.[3][3] SYNC v4 and v5 were released in January 2010 and January 2011, respectively, and enabled the Ford developed MyFord Touch application for certain 2011 model year vehicles as well as SYNC AppLink capabilities for certain 2011 model year vehicles.[3] The latest version of SYNC was released in November 2012 by Ford and is only applicable to certain vehicles and configurations.

Ford has extended the warranty for Sync on several 2011 to 2014 models to five years as a customer satisfaction matter. (Field Service Action Number: 12M02)[19]

MyFord Touch[edit]  SYNC 2

Main article: MyFord Touch

Sync 3[edit]

On December 11, 2014, Ford announced Sync 3, which will replace MyFord Touch, will have simpler features and will be powered by QNX software by BlackBerry Limited instead of Microsoft.[4] The Sync 3 name will be used for both Ford and Lincoln models, though Lincoln's will have a different theme. Over half of Ford's North American vehicles will have Sync 3 by the end of 2015 and will be expanded globally afterwards; vehicles not equipped with Sync 3 will be equipped with the original Ford Sync.[4] Ford cited issues with Microsoft's complex software dragging down its scores with Consumer Reports and other consumer magazines being a reason it switched to the BlackBerry QNX operating system.[4]

Sync 2  AKA Myford touch  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch#MyFord_Touch_availability  latest software for sync 2 is ver 3.10

SYNC 3 was not  rolled out to all 2016 Ford models yet, the handful of cars that will be offering this feature includes some of the most popular cars in Ford’s lineup. Initially, just the 2016 Ford Escape and 2016 Ford Fiesta will be the first vehicles to receive SYNC 3, but models like the 2016 Mustang will also offer an upgrade to the SYNC 3 system.

You can’t put Sync 3 in a gen 1 (I.e. 2010 or older).  It would take an amazing level of customization that the platform couldn’t fully support even if you tried.

Wnter your VIN number on syncmyride.com and it will give you the latest firmware for your SYNC version.