UPATE: SOLVED! Wifi not working/intermittent, screen freezes, what is wifi used for besides updates?

I'm having an issue getting my wifi to connect and/or stay connected.  Sometimes it will connect to my wifi, then when I go to check for sync updates it tells me I have to be connected to wifi even though I just connected.  Sometimes it will search for updates but the screen will lock showing the searching icon forever.  Other times it will search for wifi and not find anything, just show the searching icon forever even though I'm parked in the same spot that it will on occasion find it.  More often than not it does not find available wifi.

In addition sometimes the screen will freeze when using the Navigation and using the touchscreen.  Not sure what is going on.  I upgraded to version 3.0 last year and it seems that's when the problems started.  Other than checking for updates what else is wifi used for?  

Any suggestions?  I've tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour, no difference.  Seems like I've read something about doing a system reset in sync but that will take it back to the original install, will have to update everything.  Also read that holding the scan forward button and the power button for 10 seconds will restart sync, haven't tried that but is it any different than shutting down the vehicle and restarting?

2016 Edge, Sync 3 Version 3.0 

Edited by bamabob
  • Like 1

Received a PM from another member regarding trying an update to a newer build  So I downloaded the latest update from owner.ford.com and did a master reset and then installed it.  I was running version 3.0 build 18025, now it's version 3.0 build 18093.  

Connects to wifi consistently now and so far no screen freezes.  7 hour road trip today running android auto and everything worked fine.