Speedo Error

jpeckinp

While on my trip to Vegas I took my GPS with me to verify speed and a few other little things and I noticed with the cruise set at 80 the GPS would say 77.

So I figured OK I'm of by 3mph no biggie, but later on I set the cruise at 80 again and checked with the GPS again and it said 77 so just for the fun of it I reset the avg MPH on the console and guess what it was telling me. You got it 77MPH

So now I know that the speedo on my Edge is off by 3mph but the computer knows the true speed.

• 3 weeks later...
While on my trip to Vegas I took my GPS with me to verify speed and a few other little things and I noticed with the cruise set at 80 the GPS would say 77.

So I figured OK I'm of by 3mph no biggie, but later on I set the cruise at 80 again and checked with the GPS again and it said 77 so just for the fun of it I reset the avg MPH on the console and guess what it was telling me. You got it 77MPH

So now I know that the speedo on my Edge is off by 3mph but the computer knows the true speed.

ha that's pretty cool I never noticed that before.... I did notice my GPS seems to have a 1 or 2 mph higher speed than my speedo but never did a since I've only had the GPS a couple weeks and usually too busy watching traffic to play with it. no big straightaways

it's pretty good that you discovered the computer knows the real speed though :) smarter than the average speedo I guess

the only comparison I have noticed with the analog speedo gauge is driving through those areas that have a radar gun posted on a signpost and show you your speed. mine has almost always been right on, never off by more than like 1 mph. so I just figured it was pretty darn accurate but figured I'd test it one of these days.

I do know the analog speedo on my old Ranger was off by 3 mph so I always drove 3 mph faster to make up for it!

I don't have a GPS to verify it, but I did as you setting the cruise at what appeared to be about 83 on the speedo then reset the avg MPH and it read 80. I did it several times on this trip as I-16 is so long and boring unitl you get to a few spots where you can turn it loose. I also noticed on some of the radar signposts that it was about 2-3 less than the speedo.

Lots of discussion about this on other forums.

One forum says that in Germany it's against the law to show the actual speed or slower than the actual speed.

A friend was part of a class action suit against Honda, the Odometer was off, he and several 100k Honda owners now have an extended warranty.

ab