Rear Camera White Steering Lines

The factory, rear camera failed on my 2015 Edge SEL so I replaced it with a Dorman brand camera.  My Edge was built after 01/15/2015 so fortunately it is the cheaper replacement model camera.  The camera vision is restored but the moving white steering lines are weird.  Here are the symptoms:

Scenario 1

1. Shift to reverse and the colored lines are present and the white steering lines appear in response to the steering wheel angle.

2. Release the brake pedal and start moving backwards and the lines shift to the right in response to turning in the right direction.

3. When the reverse speed is increased then abruptly, the white steering lines shift to the extreme left and they stay locked there until the reverse movement is allowed to coast to a stop or when the brake is used to stop the reverse movement.  The white steering lines then re-align themselves to the steering angle position that the steering wheel happens to stop at.

Scenario 2

1. Shift to reverse and the colored lines are present and the white steering lines appear in response to the steering wheel angle.

2. Hold the brake on so there is no reverse movement and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to left.

3. The white steering lines follow the steering wheel perfectly.

*Scenario 2 also behaves in the same way when the shifter is shifted from reverse to neutral.

I chatted with Dorman and the Dorman tech thought that the camera could be defective and suggested that it be replaced under warranty.  I contacted the vendor, gave him the information from the Dorman tech and an email contact address, and the vendor sent a new replacement camera.

I installed the replacement camera and the exact same white steering line problem is still present.

I then used Forscan to reset the Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration under the service function icon (there is no camera reset option).  The procedure started and what appeared at 8% completion was:

(WARN) [19:18:32.882] Steering Column Lock Power Control - On
(ERR) [19:19:01.359] Test aborted. Perform a self-test to identify any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)

I checked for any DTC's and none were listed.

I performed in Forscan the service procedure module resets of the APIM, FCIM, PSCM, and SCCM modules.  It did not cure the problem.

I took the Edge to the Ford dealer for the steering rack bolt recall and while there asked them to perform a diagnostic on the camera.  They did a software update to Sync 2, and the white steering lines started working in a normal manner.  They turned the engine off, waited 10 minutes, started it, the white lines still worked ok, and then turned it off.  An hour later they started it and the white steering lines went back to the same mess.  The service rep said the problem was probably a defect in the computer behind the 8" touch screen and that it might be a communication problem with the other modules.

That doesn't make sense to me because when the vehicle is in reverse and stopped the white steering lines behave normally.

I have read that people have changed the numbers in particular module code lines for the same camera white steering line problem in other Ford models, but I have not read anything that is specific for the 2015 Edge.

Is there a cure for this problem?

• 1 year later...

Well, after installing the Dorman camera about 2 years ago I finally got the fix.  I tried on at least 4 occasions to work with Dorman on a fix as to why their camera does not display the white steering lines correctly.  They suggested that I get a second replacement and the second camera did the same thing as the first.  They asked for VIN; I gave them VIN.  They said they turned it over to their test vehicle techs to get try to simulate the condition.  I checked back at least twice over the course of time and it was, "We have it staged and will be working on it."  After all this time I tired of their responses and excuses.

Best price I could get from a Ford discount supplier was $270.00, and that is just too much money.

So, I went on over to LQK and shopped for a used camera.  I picked one from a 2018 Edge, since from what I found the 2015 through 2018 Edge rear cameras are the same.  I installed it and the white steering lines are back and it functions as it should.  I was able to calibrate it with Forscan and it achieved 100% calibration.  The Dorman camera would stop at 8% calibration, and then Forscan would quit the calibration and give an error.  I paid $79.00 total with s/h and that includes their optional their 2 year replacement warranty.

I attached a photo of the old 2015 camera showing the Ford part and of the 2018 camera showing the Ford part number. 

I am pleased with how this turned out and I hope this story will help others.

Used 2018 Camera.jpg

Original 2015 Camera.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1